question

vidar avatar image
vidar asked

Quattro 48/10000/140 - Can I control "Charge current" and "Shore limit" from a PLC?

I have looked in the CCGX-Modbus-TCP-register-list, and I'm not able to figure this out on my own. I'm not experienced in Victron's products nor in PLC programming, yet.

I believe this might be the "input current limit" I find under "Shore limit" in VEConfig:

com.victronenergy.vebus Active input current limit

In VEConfig I am able to set "input current limit" for AC1 and AC2 separately, though.

And the "Charge current" I find in the "Charger" tab in VEconfig, I am not able to find at all in the mentioned register list.

Any clarification or guidance will be appreciated!

chargerModbus TCPVEConfigure 3
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @vidar

I've moved your question to the 'modifications' space, as there that is where these questions are more in place.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ben avatar image
ben answered ·

You can definitely control both of those things programmatically via D-Bus, which means, yes, you can write your own code to do it. There is a separate current limit for AC1 and AC2, along with charge current maximum.

I'm not sure how many of those values are propagated through to Modbus TCP. You may have to roll it yourself, if you need to use that protocol.

2 |3000

nevller avatar image
nevller answered ·

Were you able to control the charge current externally in the end ?

2 comments
2 |3000

johanndo avatar image johanndo commented ·
You can set a limit for the charge current produced, but cannot control it. It depends on the set absorption voltage and battery voltage, other dc loads etc.
0 Likes 0 ·
nevller avatar image nevller johanndo commented ·

I've identified that the DC charge current can be adapted with a GX device as such :

Beforehand, activate the SSH service in the GX and set a root password : https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ccgx:root_access

The following commands are executed on the GX device iteself.

First, identify the Multi's tty :

dbus-spy

Then you can query and set the charge current as such (unit=A ; com.victronenergy.vebus.ttyS4 is the tty corresponding the the Multi identified in the step above) :

dbus -y com.victronenergy.vebus.ttyS4 /Dc/0/MaxChargeCurrent GetValue
dbus -y com.victronenergy.vebus.ttyS4 /Dc/0/MaxChargeCurrent SetValue 20

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Modbus TCP Basics

VEConfigure manual

VEConfig alternative method for VE.Bus using VictronConnect

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic