question

kramsy avatar image
kramsy asked

How to regulate lithium 12v batteries

Hello everyone. I’ve recently bought 2x 100Ah lithium batteries. The problem I have is that the nominal and charged voltage (anywhere from 13.3-14.4V) of these batteries is higher than that of regular AGM or other types of batteries. This increase in voltage is causing my 12v rated LED lights to blow as they can’t handle it.

So my question is, does anyone know of anything I can use to step down the higher voltage to a useable voltage of 12v approx?
I was thinking of something like a resistor or a potentiometer, but does anyone know of anything specifically for lithium that would work and not burn out? Thanks.

Lithium Battery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

"So my question is, does anyone know of anything I can use to step down the higher voltage to a useable voltage of 12v approx? "

Add a couple of diodes in series with your led lights. A 4004 or 5404 will drop the voltage by about 0.6v for each diode added.

Note, some led's are just rubbish, and will fail no matter the voltage, or forward current.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jaywolfe avatar image
jaywolfe answered ·

The victron Orion DC to dc converter will do this

2 |3000

Related Resources