question

shaunp avatar image
shaunp asked

10KVA Quattro Inverter -

Question. 1
My 10KVA inverter periodically changes over into inverting mode even though the mains
power supplying the inverter is not switched off? my supplier (installer) says this is because the
incoming AC supply from the municipality is 'Dirty'. AC waveform seems ok to me.
+- 220v to 240v continuous.

Has anyone had or seen this behavior before?

Question. 2
My batteries have also been giving me issues lately and the supplier replaced 2 of them last week
since they failed their load testing cycles
These are 8x 12v Victron AGM batteries. 2 x (4 x 12v) in Parallel with each other.

I noticed on one of the charging cycles after we had a municipal power failure the Batteries discharged to around 50v then the power came back on but the inverter tried charging the batteries at 52v this charge voltage should have surely been between 55v to 57v ?

Has anyone had this behavior before ?

Thanks in advance

installationbattery system voltage
1584891711677.png (46.7 KiB)
1584893718930.png (83.9 KiB)
1584893796295.png (83.9 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@shaunp the wave form on the AC side seems within spec of the inverters unless ot was programmed otherwise. Do you have any pv installed?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @shaunp

Q1. 'Dirty' power can come in several forms, many of which won't be shown in VRM charts. I see it often with a generator, but it's not so common with grid supply. If your installer has tested it with a 'scope then he'll be right, else it may be an educated guess, and possibly/probably right.

Q2. Answered mostly by your first screenshot. Storage Mode, with a lower V. And it's reverted to a normal charge algorithm when V has dropped below some trigger point (I don't know what that is). It will end up back in Storage if you can get a good run at it without serious grid interruption.

The dirty power can be dealt with, but comes with downsides, so maybe leave such changes for desperate times. Come back if you need to do that. Your Quattro is actually protecting your downstream loads from that dirty power, so don't be too hard on it.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic