question

windhoos avatar image
windhoos asked

Maintaining charge in starter battery using Cyrix-ct 12 in combination with Argo Fet

My current 12V system uses an Argo Fet 200 Amp to separate the starter battery bank from the house bank. Both banks are lead accid. I'm now looking for a way to keep the starter battery charged when not using the engine. My house bank has 2X 160W panels with a Victron 100/30 MPPT controler. (see attached diagram for more info).

I'm wondering if a Cyrix-ct 120A would do the trick, how to fit it in the current diagram and what the risks are? I would also like to be able to switch of the Cyrix when not needed (when we are on the boat)

Windhoos main DC power distribution-Windhoos main DC power-3.pdf

Cyrix Battery CombinerArgo FET Diode
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
gbarnaud avatar image
gbarnaud answered ·

Hi @Windhoos

Yes I would say the Cyrix-Ct would do the job you require.

But not sure you need to disengage it when you're onboard, as if the house batteries are under work they shouldn't be so often above the Cyrix operating voltages.

And when they are, the engine batt wouldn't steal so much power as they will be fully charged.

Here where to find how to insert a Cyrix Ct into your nice scheme (removing the Argofet)

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Manual-Cyrix-ct-120-EN-NL-DE-FR-ES.pdf

I don't see any big risk to do so, let's see what others could say

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.