question

skuner avatar image
skuner asked

Argo fet or Cyril-ct?

Hello

I’d like to use your products in my 30 feet sailing boat in order to charge the starter battery ( 1x 70 Ah battery ) and the services batteries ( 2 x 115 Ah flooded batteries put in parallel).

Is it better to use your Argo FET 100-2 battery isolator or your Cyrix-ct 12/24-120?

Thanks

Cyrix Battery CombinerArgo FET Diode
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

wkirby avatar image wkirby ♦♦ commented ·

What is your charging source? Is it the engine alternator or is there solar / shore charging too?

0 Likes 0 ·
skuner avatar image skuner wkirby ♦♦ commented ·

The charging sources are engine alternator, solar and shore.

Because I’m in the Caribbean islands so the main source is solar.

Thanks.

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

I think the Cyrix-ct is best for your application.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

zuzullo avatar image
zuzullo answered ·

I had the same question and I went to a Cyrix. I just wish that the Cyrix did not use my service battery to start the engine but if the batteries are above ~13v, be careful, IT DOES!

(This did not happen when I used the old diode batt. isolator, which is similar to the ARGO FET in functionality. So I am not sure that I did the best choice)
Please correct me if I am wrong :)

1 comment
2 |3000

Fra avatar image Fra commented ·

I think that there is no problem if the service batteries are charged and I cyrix starts the engine with the batteries in parallel.

It's a matter of a second. and if the absorption on the service batteries is too much, you will see that the voltage drops and the cyrix will disconnect.

But if you don't want that ever to happen ... do like me.

I put a switch on the negative cable of the cyrix coil (not included in the manual).

Before starting the engine, turn off the cyrix with the switch. then you reconnect it.

Or put a simple manual relay or even a manual battery switch in place of the cyrix. and you decide when to make the parallel.

0 Likes 0 ·