question

janefinch avatar image
janefinch asked

Help please, my batteries are not discharging

battery charging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

7 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

Do you have your ESS Mode setting on "Keep Batteryie Charged"? If so, then your batteries will not discharge.

You can find this setting under Settings -> ESS -> Mode, then you can choose from there.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

janefinch avatar image
janefinch answered ·

Thanks for the suggestion. I’ve had a look and the setting is for optimised battery life. The system has been gradually failing to discharge since November. Prior to that it was working quite well.

2 |3000

wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

On that same ESS page:

What is the state of each of the following:

1. Minimum Discharge SOC (unless grid fails)?

2. Actual State of Charge Limit? This changes dynamically and increases gradually when the battery doesn't fully charge due to lack of sunshine. Miserable weather has been a particular problem for me in the east of England.

3. BatteryLife State?

4. Limit Inverter Power?

1546867503225.png (138.0 KiB)
2 |3000

janefinch avatar image
janefinch answered ·

I think this screenshot has all those answers. Following your last post I’m wondering if it is due to low light levels, though there is a red flashing light on the console

2 |3000

wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

Ah, the BatteryLife state is "Sustain". The battery Volatge (12V) is rather low and the system is sustaining that Voltage to prevent deep discharge of the battery. Indeed it will not discharge like this.
It's odd that the SOC is 97%, I suspect that the SOC has drifted a lot and will resychronise with a full recharge of the battery.

I'm not sure how long it has been like this, but your battery could do with a full charge. Is it possible to charge from grid power? You can do that by changing the "Mode" setting to "Keep batteries charged" until the system says "Float", then you can change it back to "Optimised".
You can limit the charge power if you don't want to take a lot of power from the grid.

I had to perform this procedure a week or two ago on my own system. This is due to the dismal lack of sunshine at this time of year.

2 |3000

janefinch avatar image
janefinch answered ·

Thanks. Seems a reasonable solution but I can’t make those changes as my installer ( now out of business) has set a password 😕

2 |3000

wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

Oh that's an awkward predicament. Ecotek should have done a handover rather than leave everyone in the lurch.

The issue will most likely resolve it's self as the days get longer.

As for being locked out of your own system, there is not much we can do from here I'm afraid.

2 |3000

Related Resources

VictronConnect VE.Bus charging manual  

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic