question

justo avatar image
justo asked

Muliplus 48,5000,70 v generator

Hi, I have recently had a new multi plus ll-48 5000-70 installed but having issues with generator running charger. I have a generator rated at 5000kw continuous at 20amps max. The issue is the charger keeps dropping out if input amps are set above 7.5amps which only allows about 20 amps into the batteries. I was hoping to get around 50amps into the batteries with that size generator. Is there a setting that could be incorrect?

Multiplus-IIGenerator
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @Justo

The Multi's are picky with genny power (by design), but it's a little unusual seeing rejection over a particular amperage.

Take a look through here: https://www.victronenergy.com/live/multiplus_faq

Maybe your issue is at the softer end of the adjustments, but if you have to go all the way to ticking 'Weak ac input' then it will limit power to a degree anyway. But not as low as 20A at batt V, maybe 40A?

What is your genny? If an inverter type, they're usually not an issue, but can 'fox' you by just cutting off their power and coming back when they feel like it. So just ensure you have that possibility covered.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

justo avatar image justo commented ·

Hi @JohnC

Thanks for your help, it’s much appreciated.

Yes, it is strange but the installer assured me that it is an issue with the generator. The same generator was running a 50 amp charger with 16 amp input without issues. The generator is a renegade brand and is not an inverter type ( see photo for specs)

The multi was set to 16 input amps and tripped after 20 seconds run time so the installer decreased input amps gradually until it stopped tripping. The result was 7 input amps. I don’t have the interface module and cable yet so I can’t do anything without paying the installer. I just want to cover all bases before spending thousands of $$$ on a new generator.

0 Likes 0 ·
justme avatar image
justme answered ·

You need to know if it dropping out due to low voltage or low hertz.

Have you set the acceptable voltages & ticked accept wide hertz range?

I have just installed the same Multi II & have a 6000va genny & can run it at 16 amps in & 50 amps of charge with no issues.

2 comments
2 |3000

Thanks Justme,

The installer set it up but I did notice that the wide Hertz range was set but unsure of voltage and other settings. The generator was producing 54 hertz which is a bit high but within range.

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ commented ·

There's more to it than that. This report is ageing somewhat, but still relevant: https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/VE_Marine_generator_test_RVA_07-jan-2008.pdf

Might explain a few things.

This issue isn't uncommon (I suffer it too with an older Yamaha 6kVA). Choosing a genny is a bit of a lucky-dip, and perhaps when purchasing, a proviso to be able to return it for an exchange if unsuitable might be worthwhile.

0 Likes 0 ·
justme avatar image
justme answered ·

Are you on 50 or 60 hertz on the multiplus?

2 |3000

Michael Riley avatar image
Michael Riley answered ·

Some addition info which may be of assistance. We have a 4.5kVA generator connected to a 24/500/70 Multi. I also have high 'switched' 240VAC loads such as induction cookers, microwaves and more resistive loads such as 2kW electric jugs. When you say the installer 'reduced' the load was this done dynamically (using the Victron 'remote' Multi control) or via VEconfigure setttings. I like to run the generator as full load (continuous) and therefore sometimes when switching on large loads the 'charger' throttling of the multi is too slow to react and the generator frequency goes off and the Multi rightfully disconnects. On some occasions with full gen load I reduce the remote control down to say, 18 Amps, until the new load is on (resistive) and then up the max 'shore' or 'gen' load to say 20A (for the generator). I set the generator to 242V by the way (as measured at the input to the Multi IN). If on real shore power (marina wharf) I use 16A limit as per AU regs for single phase. Good hunting.

1 comment
2 |3000

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the info mate. The input current was limited to 7 amps via ve configure, as anything above kicked the gen off line. I now have the hardware to monitor the setting in ve configure and as far as I can see, all seems to be set correctly. When I set the input current to 16amps to load up the gen, I don’t see hertz or voltage drop or rise out of the set tolerances before it trips out????

It seems the only way I can run the gen and put any sort of current into the batteries it checking the weak AC box. This gives about 40amps to the batteries which is better than nothing.

Cheers, Justo.

0 Likes 0 ·
agroventuresperu avatar image
agroventuresperu answered ·

I doubt justo is still around, but I'd really like to know what the issue was in their case.

2 |3000