question

john-maltzahn avatar image
john-maltzahn asked

Battery charging rate

I have installed a system to go off grid for approx. 5 months (a long story). The system comprises a 6KVA generator, a Multiplus-II 48 l 5000 charger inverter and a 200 AH lead carbon battery pack. The initial problem was that the batteries did not charge. The local supplier then reprogrammed the charger/inverter and the batteries now charge at around 2.3 KW (44 amp 57 v). However, this charge rate does not vary - tests conducted with battery charges of 91%, 75% and 40%. The local supplier and his advisor cannot work out why the charge rate doesn't reach the specified 70 amp at low battery charges. Can anyone suggest what the problem might be? John Maltzahn john@inyakart.com.au

battery charging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @John Maltzahn

Ask your local supplier what he 'reprogrammed. If the original issue was to relieve the Multi's acceptance of poor quality genny supply, then see here: https://www.victronenergy.com/live/multiplus_faq

If he's ticked the 'Weak ac input' box, then that would explain it. The 2300W may not be just the charge, but the total ac input. I suffer this too, but the level it limits to actually suits my batts. 2300W is at the upper end for my 48/5000, but likely typical.

It's by design, the Multi's ac-in the final defence against poor passthrough power quality on ac-out.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.