question

ur12vman avatar image
ur12vman asked

Quattro inverters and Battery protect shut down during charging

Strange happening last night. System is 3-Quattros, Solar Charging, 2-skylla chargers, 4- 24V VE LiFePo4 batteries +VE BMS and smart battery protect for 24V DC loads and CCGX. The skyllas are charging all day along with solar, but losing the battle and batteries went from 100% to 65% during the day (cold outside, heaters on). This is all as it should be. Generator started at 65% to recharge batteries and ran for an hour+ or so, batteries now showing 100%, but voltage at 26.48, all cells even at 3.31 via bluetooth connect app. Incoming charge is showing ~250amps, genset at 9500W (it's maximum allowable in quattro settings) Then the inverters and battery protect shut off, as in all power gone, lights out. After a few seconds, inverters kick back on, then the 24V comes back on(shows that the battery protect was activated). This happens again a minute or two later and by the time I get down to the system, its back on again. No errors showing on BMS, no errors anywhere. Charger ramps back up to 250 amp like nothing happened. The charge the batteries should be able to take is 400 amps nominal, 800 amps maximum. All temps were reasonable ~21C or so on the battery monitor, all individual cell voltages were good. The skylla's were pushing 30 amps each from shore power, along with the quattros, so total charging was 310 amps. Any ideas of why the inverters would shut down? I could see the charging being told to stop if the BMS thought it was overdoing it, but not the inverters. And although the SOC showed 100%, the voltages showed that the batteries were not yet fully charged. Ideas?

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerCCGX Color Control
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ur12vman avatar image ur12vman commented ·
0 Likes 0 ·
3 Answers
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Sorry @Ur12VMan

Your text is very difficult to read, and lacking information.

To diagnose properly we need:

-diagram of the system

-VRM graphs of relevant information while the events happened

-how is SOC calculated? do you have a BMV in the system?

-etc.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ur12vman avatar image
ur12vman answered ·

the system is disconnected from the internet right now, we are in Canada and the modem doesnt work up here so no VRM. There is a BMV712 installed as well, SOC is coming from the BMV. The image below is pretty close to my system, I have 2 Blue Solar MPPT 150/85 and a pair of Skylla-I chargers that daisy chain on the BlueSolars data connection. I do not have alternator charging. The quattros are 24/5000 VA and 120 Volt arranged in a three phase configuration. All firmware up to date as of 60 days ago.

1 comment
2 |3000

Ok so MPPT's connected via Ve.CAN

sounds like indeed the BMS stopped charging -and- discharging, as far as I know this only happens with high temperature.

Without seeing it happen live, I think the best way to analyse this is to readout the Venus logs, best to have sd-card inserted, and upload the data when internet is available (set logging interval at 1 minute for most accurate data)

Also you could try to see if one of the batteries is the source (with victron connect, see if there are strange voltages / temps)

0 Likes 0 ·
ur12vman avatar image
ur12vman answered ·
5 comments
2 |3000

Hi @Ur12VMan

I've already replied...

0 Likes 0 ·
ur12vman avatar image ur12vman Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

Yes, I see that you replied and I provided more information and the diagram you asked for in this thread. I am terribly sorry but I cannot improve on my English and description as it does a pretty good job of telling the story of what happened. Please pardon my dictation, I have only been an English speaker for 53 years.

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ ur12vman commented ·

Hi @Ur12VMan

I replied to you diagram, the answer is below it. I'll copy - paste it here also:

Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ · 2 days ago

Ok so MPPT's connected via Ve.CAN

sounds like indeed the BMS stopped charging -and- discharging, as far as I know this only happens with high temperature.

Without seeing it happen live, I think the best way to analyse this is to readout the Venus logs, best to have sd-card inserted, and upload the data when internet is available (set logging interval at 1 minute for most accurate data)

Also you could try to see if one of the batteries is the source (with victron connect, see if there are strange voltages / temps)

0 Likes 0 ·
ur12vman avatar image ur12vman Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

Thank you, Right after this happened I checked all the battery cell voltages and temperatures using bluetooth victron connect and everything was normal and within parameters. The compartment the system is in, is kept at a steady 50F (10C). If this happens again, I will check with a thermal camera but I don't think it was thermal related. I would expect if it was thermal it would have stopped the charger, and left the discharge alone, and not blinked off, on, off on. Perhaps there is a problem in the VE BMS unit? It has not happened since. The worst problems are widely spaced intermittent ones.

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ ur12vman commented ·

0 Likes 0 ·