question

gavin-andrews avatar image
gavin-andrews asked

Can inverter cut-out be set to SoC rather than battery voltage?

I have an Easysolar 48/5000/70-100, CGX, BMV and lead acid batteries (690Ah), in a 48V, off grid configuration with solar panel input only.

The inverter is set to cut off at 44V. However, sometimes a heavy load (kettle, dishwasher) can drop it to that temporarily, from 47-48V, even if the BMV state of charge is still at 75%. So I was wondering if it is possible, or wise, to configure the inverter to cut off on the basis of the state-of-charge, rather than the voltage.

EasySolar All-in-OneSOC
4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

When you are configuring ESS the dynamic cut off should compensate for the voltage drop at higher current draw.

0 Likes 0 ·
gavin-andrews avatar image gavin-andrews Alexandra ♦ commented ·

I can't find such configuration options in the CGX menu or the VE Configure menus.

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ gavin-andrews commented ·

It is in the ESS assistant if you run through it again. The voltage with the different C ratings.

0 Likes 0 ·
Mark avatar image Mark ♦♦ Alexandra ♦ commented ·

The OP has stated that this is an off grid installation, so likely won't be using ESS.

0 Likes 0 ·
3 Answers
safiery avatar image
safiery answered ·

@Gavin Andrews SOC cut off has many advantages. In the VE Bus setup screen, set the source for the battery monitor, then set the SOC% to cut off and restart. For Lithium, this can be set quite low.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

gavin-andrews avatar image gavin-andrews commented ·

Thanks Safiery.

Where will I find the VE Bus setup screen? I don't see it in the CGX menu or the VE Configure menus. I have Multiplus options but under those I don't see any option for setting the source.

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @Gavin Andrews

I don't think what you want there is possible without stepping-up to 'unwanted' extras.

And frankly I can't see the need to. Bear with me..

I use the same blue box set to the min trip V of 37.2V. Alarms are set higher, and VRM will email me if those are of concern. And repeat the email when it clears. If I needed to shut the inverter down I'd do it myself via Remote Console. And I've never needed to do that in 3+ years.

Just sayin'. But sometimes a step back to determine your real needs, and the alternative options available, is worthwhile.

1 comment
2 |3000

Thanks John. Valid point.

Unfortunately our internet connection is not very reliable!

0 Likes 0 ·
Mark avatar image
Mark answered ·

Yes, this is possible.

To do this you need to use a MK3 to USB intetface cable to configure the Multiplus within the easysolar unit.

https://www.victronenergy.com/accessories/interface-mk3-usb

Download VE.Configure 3 software from the downloads/software area;

https://www.victronenergy.com/support-and-downloads/software

In CCGX menu, ensure that the BMV is selected as the active battery monitor. See section 2.2 in the CCGX manual.

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ccgx:start#battery_state_of_charge_soc

In VE.Configure 3, ensure that the battery monitor function is activated in the 'General' tab (the BMV SOC% will overrule and be copied over to the Multiplus). See section 7 in the VE.Configure manual.

https://docs.victronenergy.com/veconfigure.html#general-settings

Then in the 'Inverter' tab enable 'shut down on SOC' and set the desired SOC% for shut-down and restart (setting #10).

See section 9 in the VE.Configure manual.

https://docs.victronenergy.com/veconfigure.html#inverter-settings

Note that you will likely also have to lower the shut down voltages as well, so that the voltage condition is not satisfied before the SOC% condition.

Finally, configuration of the Multiplus unit is typically carried out by a Victron dealer or a experienced/qualified installer - if you are not confident do not attempt yourself and seek assistance.

5 comments
2 |3000

@Mark, I think my set-up matches your suggestions, except that I download the MultiPlus configuration file using VRM, rather than using the MK3 to USB interface cable. But in the Inverter tab, there is no "shut down on SOC" option, as per below:
Interestingly, in VE Configure, if I select under Port Selection, "Fake target with full options", I do have the "shut down on SOC" option, The fake target appears to be a Quattro, like on your screen shot, rather than a MultiPlus.

0 Likes 0 ·
1583423251836.png (39.2 KiB)
Mark avatar image Mark ♦♦ gavin-andrews commented ·

What version firmware are you running on your Multiplus?

As this is a recent addition (FW version 451) you may need to update to the latest level FW.

Also, if you don't already know - this must be done on site for a VE.Bus device. You can use either VE.Flash or VictronConnect, but in both cases you still need a MK3 to USB interface.

0 Likes 0 ·
gavin-andrews avatar image gavin-andrews Mark ♦♦ commented ·

@Mark; The firmware version is 451. I was not aware that the accessible options are different, depending on how you access the system. Why would that be? Guess I will have to get the cable! Thanks for getting me to that point.

0 Likes 0 ·
Mark avatar image Mark ♦♦ gavin-andrews commented ·

Hi Gavin, that's very odd if you are already running FW v451, as there should not be any difference updating via VRM.

It's only madatory to update the VE.Bus FW on site with a MK3 to USB interface.

As a next step I would recommend to confirm that you are using the latest version of VE.Configure (it should prompt you to update if the PC is connected to the internet) and update to the latest FW version regardless (just be sure to take a backup of your settings before updating FW).

0 Likes 0 ·
gavin-andrews avatar image gavin-andrews Mark ♦♦ commented ·

@Mark. I checked the Multiplus version again and apologies, I was being dyslexic. The version is 415. So if I understand correctly, the only way to update that is using the cable, and once updated I should be able to set a SoC cut-out for the inverter. Thanks for the assistance!

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

EasySolar 1600 product page

EasySolar-II GX 3000 & 5000 product page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic