question

iurii avatar image
iurii asked

SoC stuck in 100%

I have EasySolar 48/5000/70 MPPT150|100. I faced with the issue that SoC is 100% always, even if batteries partly discharged or charging or discharging. I have configured the system according to 2.4.2 case B (https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ccgx:start#battery_state_of_charge_soc). Could you give me some advice about what I should check or correct in order to measure real SoC?

EasySolar All-in-OneSOC
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Mark avatar image
Mark answered ยท

Can you confirm that you have NO other DC loads in the system, as the MultiPlus (the inverter/charger portion of the Easysolar) internal battery monitor will & can not consider this.

Also, can you confirm that you have used VE.Configure with a MK3 to USB cable to configure the MultiPlus battery monitor and what settings you have used, particularly is the battery capacity entered correct?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Robert Bazalgette avatar image
Robert Bazalgette answered ยท

@Mark

I also have a problem with SOC readings on three recently installed ES II GX 3000 x 48v inverters. It is very confusing ! These inverters all show very low SOC (less than 5%) when the batteries are full and the MPPT is saying "float" Please tell me what settings I need to make this work correctly. I have tried asking this question before but have not had useful answers.

The instructions for the CCGX tell you how to ensure the SOC reading is accurate, but these inverters do not come with any instructions for the GX module. The instructions for the CCGX don't work because the options they describe are not shown using VE Configure on these inverters. The instructions for the multiplus II also do not help.

These systems all have new flooded Lead acid batteries.

2 |3000

Robert Bazalgette avatar image
Robert Bazalgette answered ยท

Answer to Mark about SOC issue: I can confirm No DC loads connected to the battery. Using VE configure with Mk 3 USB to configure. Battery 20 Hr capacity correctly input.

I have seen someone write here that the issue is resolved by setting the absorbtion setting in the ESII charger to 0.1v below the setting in the MPPT controller. I tried that but still no good.

It seems rather naff that the ES II comes with a built in MPPT but it doesn't seem to be integrated. I have to use my phone and the Victron connect app to talk to the solar charger, and my laptop and the MK3 USB to talk to the inverter, and they don't seem to agree with each other. The SOC reading is one that users like because it is like a fuel gauge, which they understand. I get asked all the time "What battery voltage is OK and what is not OK ?" That is not something with a simple answer.

I really hope you can offer an answer to the question : "How do I get the SOC reading to make sense ?"

1 comment
2 |3000

Mark avatar image Mark โ™ฆโ™ฆ commented ยท

Hi Robert, If you could please start a new question with your specific issue, that would be best.

But it sounds like the 'end of bulk' synchronization is not working (at all) with the Multiplus internal battery monitor and current settings.

I would recommend to set the MultiPlus absorption voltage a little lower than the MPPT, like 0.1 or 0.2v - which you have already tried, but maybe increase the offset to 0.2v to be safe (at least until you get the sync working).

The other thing could be that the voltage temperature correction coefficient could be different between devices and causing further issues with satisfying the sync condition. Ensure this is identical between MPPT & MultiPlus.

If you have high voltage drop in the cables, that could be another contributer, and you may want to try enabling DVCC - SVS in an attempt to provide a common battery voltage to both devices.

Once you can get it to start syncing, then you can move to fine tuning.

But in the end, a dedicated battery monitor and shunt (like a BMV or SmartShunt) will always be more accurate and provide more scope to finetune.

0 Likes 0 ยท

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

EasySolar 1600 product page

EasySolar-II GX 3000 & 5000 product page