question

rich1911 avatar image
rich1911 asked

Blue Smart charger. Does blue tooth work if mains is off?

If I leave a Blue Smart Charger attached to an AGM car battery but disconnect the mains, can I still monitor the battery voltage over bluetooth?

Also what would the current draw of the charger in this condition be?

charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

@rich1911, this may or may not be somewhat device-dependent... I'm not certain which smart charger you have, but I've tested both an IP65 charger and an IP67 charger on my test bench and bluetooth connectivity is not available on them without mains power; the unit appears to be 100% off until it is plugged into mains, and I register 0 current draw from the battery while either of them are connected without being plugged in.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

rich1911 avatar image rich1911 commented ·

Thanks for that Justin. Thats too bad. I was hoping to leave the charger attached to the battery permanently and only run out a mains lead if the battery level got too low.

Maybe I'll just buy a blue tooth battery monitor and a dumb battery tender.

0 Likes 0 ·
Justin Cook avatar image Justin Cook ♦♦ rich1911 commented ·

@rich1911 this might be -depending on what type of batteries you have- a great use case for the Victron Smart BatterySense?

0 Likes 0 ·
rich1911 avatar image rich1911 Justin Cook ♦♦ commented ·

Yes that's what I was thinking of.... Not too expensive either.

The other option is a home brew version using an ESP32 module, which could email me the battery level!

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic