question

jurjenhoekstra avatar image
jurjenhoekstra asked

Connect DC Link box to Venus GX or not?

I just bought the Venus GX to replace the VE.Bus to NMEA2000 interface and the VE.Direct to NMEA2000 interface in my system for my yacht and to be able to use VRM. I understand how to connect the Venus GX to internet via ethernet, the Quattro 24/8000 via VE.Bus and the BMV 700 via VE.Direct to the Venus GX. I have a Victron DC Link box for connecting the batteries with the various DC loads. Currently the shunt in the DC Link box is connected to the BMV 700. In the manual of the Venus GX/CCGX it states that the DC Link box should be connected to the Venus GX with a RJ12 cable. The only connection with RJ12 is the digital input connection of the VEnus GX. I am wondering will this work? And what is the benefit of connecting the DC Link box directly to the Venus GX? Will the DC Link box show up as a device on VRM?

Venus GX - VGX
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

The idea is to connect the DC Link box to the BMV-700 using the RJ12 cable.
Then connect the BMV-700 to the Venus GX with the VE.Direct cable.

Don't connect the DC Link box directly to the Venus GX.

5 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jurjenhoekstra avatar image jurjenhoekstra commented ·

Thanks for your answer. That is how I have it connected now. But: the manual says to connect the DC Link box to the Venus GX. Therefore my questions remain: if I connect the DC Link box to the RJ12 (digital input) connection, will it work? What would be the benefit? Will the DC Link box show up as device? Or, I will add a question: is the manual wrong?

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ jurjenhoekstra commented ·
0 Likes 0 ·
jurjenhoekstra avatar image jurjenhoekstra Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

Hello @DanielBoekel, thanks for the reply. I've seen the connection drawing of the DC Link box. In stead of a BMV-600, I have the BMV-700 and in stead of a multi I have a quattro, but at the moment it is connected as according to the drawing and it works satisfactory. I am getting all the correct values. Despite that, the manual of CCGX (which also applies to the Venus GX) states in paragraph 1.4.5: Connect the DC Link box, using the RJ-12 cable supplied. Then connect the BMV-700 to the CCGX -
see
above for instructions. Sadly there is no 1.2.2 in the manual. So I am still wondering: if I connect the DC Link box to the RJ12 (digital input) connection, will it work? What would be the benefit? Will the DC Link box show up as device? Or, is the manual wrong?

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ jurjenhoekstra commented ·

Hi Jurjen

It says 'Then connect the BMV-700 to the CCGX'

To connect the BMV with the CCGX, you need a ve.direct cable.

if you connect the RJ12 cable to the 'digital input' there is a good chance you'll damage things.

so you connect the BMV to the DC-link box with the rj12 cable, and BMV to CCGX with ve.direct cable.

read this part for more information:

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ccgx:start#connecting_victron_products

1.4.2 Battery Monitor BMV-700 series; and MPPTs with a VE.Direct port

0 Likes 0 ·
jurjenhoekstra avatar image jurjenhoekstra Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

Hello Daniel, thanks again for your answer. I now understand that the manual is not completely clear when it states: "connect the DC Link box with the RJ12 cable". It is not to be connected to the CCGX/Venus GX but to the BMV and then connect the BMV with Ve.direct cable to the CCGX/Venus GS. It is a matter of how you interpret the sentence. It would have been clearer, if it stated: "connect the DC Link box with the RJ 12 cable to a BMV700/712 and then connect the BMV700/712 with a ve.direct cable to a CCGX or Venus GX". Which is exactly what I did as I was afraid of damaging something when connecting the DC Link box directly to the BMV. Topic can be closed.

0 Likes 0 ·