question

Matthieu Peters avatar image
Matthieu Peters asked

Multiplus GX ethernet connection problem when connecting to internet box

I got a Multiplus II GX installed recently. I have a ethernet cable connected from multiplus ethernet port to my Internet box, but I cannot connect to the remote interface.

My Internet Box is seeing the Multiplus:

But Multiplus is not connecting correctly. It tries to retrieve the IP:

And then says connected, but does not show any IP:

I have bough a brand new ethernet cable (5 meter long), but does not help...

Any idea ?

Regards,

Matthieu

VRM
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

Hi,

172.24.24.1 is for a Venus "wifi access point".

venus.local/ should connect directly to a computer via lan.

192.xxx... seems to be for remote access via wifi.

169.xxx... seems to work sometimes via lan/wifi depending on which way the wind blows....

The mysteries of networking.....

0 Likes 0 ·
6 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @M Peters

On two of your screenshots there's shown a 172.24.24.1 address. That's related to the Victron wifi, not cable.

I don't know how all this fits though. But I guess your access to that screen is only via wifi. They both won't work at the same time, and the cable should be prioritized, so I'm a little puzzled there.

I'm not game to suggest it, but if you turned off the wifi, the screen access should be available at 192.168.1.13 Try that anyway without turning off wifi..

Have you registered VRM?

Edit/ Crossed with klim, the mysteries shared. :)

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Matthieu Peters answered ·

Hi,

Thanks. Well, yes I can connect to remote console when connecting my phone to the wifi hotspot of the multiplus.

Indeed, I can deactivate the wifi, but if it doesn't help on Ethernet issue, I will have no more way to connect remote console.

Regarding VRM, I guess it won't work as it is supposed to connect internet, which requires the ethernet connection to my internet box...

If someone confirm deactivating wifi is the way to go, I could give a try, but right now I'm a bit sceptical it is the issue.

Matt.

2 comments
2 |3000

Hi @M Peters

Do not deactivate wifi, that would leave you with no connection to the GX device.

Did you try rebooting the GX card? (trough remote console)

And always first thing to try: connect Ethernet cable to a laptop, and see if that gets a good connection.

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthieu Peters avatar image Matthieu Peters Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

Thx Daniël. I have performed several tests:

1) reboot the GX: same behavior

2) direct connection ethernet to laptop: working fine

3) GX to connect via wifi to my internet box: not working (same as ethernet, not able to retrieve an IP from DHCP)

4) GX to connect via wifi to my wifi router: working, but very very slow (as wifi signal is quite weak).

So to give some details, my internet box (fiber) is in my basement garage, close to the multiplus. I used to deactivate the wifi on internet box (as it is not giving good wifi in my house), and I'm having a wifi router in my house connected with ethernet cable to the internet box.

So far, my understanding from all test results I just described, is that the GX network has some incompatibility with my internet box. I checked the advanced settings on internet box, tried to deactivate IPv6, but it is not helping and I don't know what else to check (one track is maybe the full duplex negotioation or the 1gb link ?)

The internet box is a Sagemcom Livebox Fibre (SN:LK19224DP992365).

Any other hints/test I can do is welcome.

0 Likes 0 ·
ttbb avatar image
ttbb answered ·

"my internet box (fiber) is in my basement garage, close to the multiplus. I used to deactivate the wifi on internet box (as it is not giving good wifi in my house), and I'm having a wifi router in my house connected with ethernet cable to the internet box."

So your multiplus is connected directly into the 'internet box' that is in its self an internet router not just a modem or acting just as a modem. Then you have a WI-FI 'router' connected into the router.

So there are some questions. Is your 'WI-FI router' actually acting as a router or is it in fact an access point. The symptoms suggest it is a router so you have a router behind a router.

Unless you have set it up otherwise you will have 2x DHCP servers 2x Firewalls. To the WI-FI router your internet box is the public WAN internet not part of your home private lan.

So that would explain why when you connect to the GX via the wi-fi router you can connect as its on the same private network. via the Ethernet into the internet box its outside.

I can't know exactly what is going on i can just guess based on the info and symptoms. So here is my recommendation to test out.

Connect your Laptop via an ethernet port on your internet box or turn on the WI-FI on the internet box and connect your laptop via that. Then try connecting to the GX. If you can then there is your problem you need your 'WI-FI router' set up as an access point not as a router so it is one whole private network.

2 |3000

Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

Try this to see if it helps, I always turn this on if I am using a lan connection, but it may only affect the VRM .

Worth a try

1582452156866.png (30.5 KiB)
2 |3000

Matthieu Peters answered ·

Hello,

I have done further testing: I plugged my Wifi router to my internet box, in my basement and plugged the GX to the wifi router with ethernet cable and it worked perfectly. So now I'm convinced the issue is a network incompatibility between the GX and the internet box. As I mentionned previously, probably a duplex (half/full) negociation issue or bandwidth (1gb) issue.

I also updated the GX firmware to latest version (v2.42) but issue persist.

@Victron: can you propose a solution ? Any way to have advanced setting acces on ethernet configuration ? As workaround, I guess I could buy a small ethernet router to plub between GX and internet box, but I would rather prefer not to have to buy an additional device.

Regards,

Matthieu

7 comments
2 |3000

Hi @M Peters

It is highly unlikely that the Ethernet connection is not compatible, but what you can try:

you state laptop works on the same cable: are you sure the laptop did not connect via wifi? (did you turn off wifi?)

If you are sure the laptop works through Eternet cable, copy the network settings and use this to setup a fixed ip in the venus (choose an unused ip).

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthieu Peters avatar image Matthieu Peters Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

Hi Daniël,

I have tried already to use manual setting (entering IP, mask, DNS) but it just does not work. It works when cable is connected to wifi router or laptop, but not to internet box. That why I'm thinking to network incompatibility.

Matt

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ Matthieu Peters commented ·

what exactly do you mean by:

It works when cable is connected to laptop

connect laptop to where? GX or 'internet box'?

0 Likes 0 ·

cable between GX and laptop (and laptop connected to internet with wifi).

0 Likes 0 ·
ttbb avatar image ttbb commented ·

What you have said would appear to confirm exactly what i suspected.

Can you confirms is your WI-FI router actually a router. You are calling it a router and
what you have confirmed is what you should expect if it is a router and not just an access point . You have moved the GX form the internet side of your WI-FI router to the lan side.

Does your WI-FI router have a WAN port on it? Is ethernet connection form your internet box going into that port?

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthieu Peters avatar image Matthieu Peters ttbb commented ·

Hello,

The problem is not coming from the wifi router. If I unplug it, and leave only the internet box and I plug the GX to the internet box, it doesn't work, neither with wifi nor ethernet cable.

if I add the wifi router (yes it is a router with LAN port) and plug the GX to this router, it works fine (both with wifi and cable).

I saw some small ethernet hub, so I will probably add that to my configuration, but I'm a bit disapointed not to have better solution from victron...

Matt

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ Matthieu Peters commented ·

What would you suggest Victron do with your 'internet box'? This is your own local networking issue.

Perhaps look to it's firewall settings for starters, it's likely denying the Victron kit access itself, and it's for you to sort that.

0 Likes 0 ·
puech-antoine avatar image
puech-antoine answered ·

Dear Victron community,

I have exactly the same issue.

After several tries, my conclusion is there is a compatibility issue between GX and Live box from Orange.

To solve this : or you use wifi connection => that one works fine

Or if you want RJ45 connection, you need to add a switch in between the GX and the live box :

details : if you plug the GX to the live box you get a unstable Ip adress like below : I tryed on every 4 RJ45 connection ports.

ping-2.jpg

if you link with RJ45 cable the box to a switch + a link with RJ45 from the switch to th GX, then you get a stable Ip adress.

That was noticed on live Box 5 by Orange.

see below ping is fine.ping-ok.jpg

To find this out, I did a lot of tries : change cables, check cables, desactivate IPV6, update to lastest firmwares, reboot, switch oof the whole installation....

If anyone found out a special parameter that can avoid the need of a switch for people that wish to use RJ45 connection, Let us know !

At your disposal to do furher tests if you get ideas around this !!

Regards,

Antoine

ping-2.jpg (127.5 KiB)
ping-ok.jpg (76.1 KiB)
2 |3000