question

economicpygmy avatar image
economicpygmy asked

Multiplus and Multiplus Compact - Reliability and Bluetooth

Is there any difference in reliability between Victron MultiPlus and Victron MultiPlus Compact? Ive lost the link but read a link where someone had dismantled the newer Victron MultiPlus and said there had been some cost cutting. They're both a similar price. I appreciate this is a victron forum so may get flamed for asking such a question :-)

Can both be monitored using the plugin VE direct bluetooth adapter? inverter voltage/current output, charge output/status? IIRC On the same page I read that the new Victron MultiPlus doesnt display this accurately. Not sure if the Victron MultiPlus Compact allows you to monitor these parameters.

On a side note, would have been nice to name a new product something completely different to reduce the google search confusion.

Thanks

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Chargervictronmultiplus compact
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

I can answer some of this but you have made it tricky for me. The parts I haven't answered aren't because I am avoiding some ugly secret, but because I don't know. I don't sell Victron but I do help support it, so my professional interest is in MORE reliable systems.

**Reliability and "Manufacturing Cost Reduction"**

These two are NOT necessarily in opposition. It is possible to reduce manufacturing cost, improve part yields, while also increasing reliability by using new manufacturing techniques. One example of this is the improvement in how the circuit boards and chips are manufactured.

As you can imagine there has been significant progress in the ~10 years since major redesigns in the area of circuits design and their manufacturing. Smaller, faster, more power efficient, fewer components, and cheaper! If you look at the circuit boards side by side, you can see the massive improvement in efficiency there.

multi-silicon.jpg

Both models are backed by the same company, with the same warranty, the same reputation, the same owners, and the same 45 year history in making inverters. R&D at Victron never stops, and reliability is always a key element in the design.

**Bluetooth**

Both have the same compatibility with the dongle and the information displayed is the same. As for the acceptable level of accuracy of current measurements, that seems to be a topic of infinite debate on this community.

My experience is that they both are more than good enough for what they need to do in this regard, others may disagree. You can also use the demo mode of VictronConnect to compare the two, though keep in mind that settings adjustments are only available via the MK3 adapter (as outlined here).

If I was personally in the market, the biggest decider for me would be which physical form factor would better fit my application. Ultimately both are still being manufactured and both are still available for sale, as different people have different preferences, and I don't think you can go wrong either way.

**As for the name, what would you suggest?** btw - there is no chance of a flaming - I pride this community on being able to talk pretty openly and professionally about the equipment and it's limitations. It's one of the benefits of having a good product.

multi-silicon.jpg (2.3 MiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

economicpygmy avatar image economicpygmy commented ·

"Reliability and Manufacturing Cost Reduction These two are NOT necessarily in opposition."

Good point and I understand that with SMT and more efficient, more integrated ICs. That said this post, (annoyingly I cant find it), showed caps right next to several TO220 packages behind the FAN. Maybe the old design was the same and its been fine but from experience such design decisions may sometimes cause the caps to fail. Ultimately Victron has a good reputation and thats why Im deciding between the two units, but it seemed odd that the old product is still being manufactured if they are the same.

"people have different preferences "

The specification sheet seem the same with the only difference being output at 40 degrees? Are there more differences? Just to be clear, I'm comparing:

https://www.ukenergyhub.co.uk/collections/inverter-chargers/products/victron-energy-multiplus-compact?variant=30897313775702

https://www.ukenergyhub.co.uk/collections/inverter-chargers/products/victron-energy-multiplus?variant=30897312497750

"Bluetooth Both have the same compatibility with the dongle and the information displayed is the same. "

Excellent, thanks for the link.

"As for the name, what would you suggest? "

I just meant two products both called multiplus (large variant of the compact and new plastic bodied version) results in poor search results when using multiplus as the keyword.

"btw - there is no chance of a flaming "

Thanks, I'm just trying to make the right decision on a relatively large purchase.

0 Likes 0 ·
Chris Dobson avatar image
Chris Dobson answered ·

We have installed many Multiplus and Multiplus compact units. The reliability is truly amazing. One of the systems uses three 10KW Quattros and is worked to its limits. This has operated faultlessly for two years. Our own office has a Multiplus 12/800 which provides power for the demonstration equipment, again this operates 24/7, our test boat did have a small 12/500 unit but it is now being replaced with a 12/3000 as the gas is going to be replaced with electric. The only failure we have ever had was in an off-grid cottage in Scotland and as the unit came back in lots of pieces I suspect that the unit wasn't really faulty. My own house has an ESS based on a 5KW Multiplus and has operated for over two years with no problems.

Connectivity to the Multiplus is via VE Bus and by using the Color Control, or Venus GX, or the new Cerbo you can have remote connectivity you can see our installation on the VRM portal here https://vrm.victronenergy.com/installation/38020/share/2af1cb96 . The Cerbo also has Bluetooth built in.

Just a word on the Victron warranty. On the rare occasion that we have to send back a faulty item the response is always excellent.

The link below takes you to a page which gives you some idea of the varied applications.

https://www.ukmel.co.uk/victron-energy

Ultimately the choice of unit is dependant on the application, is there space for the unit, what is the peak power requirement, what type of batteries, do you want to use the various inputs and relays available on some models.

2 |3000

michaeltenerife avatar image
michaeltenerife answered ·

wow, these are really complete and in depth answers. Thank you so much... There are so much details and different products that it is hard to understand it all.

From what I saw there was not a possibility to attach the bluetooth dongle on the multiplus 1 inverter as there is no VE direct port. Only VE bus (that is only to connect per ethernet sable to the computer via mk3 right?

What does the RS means in the very larger inverters and charge regulators?

Thank you

1 comment
2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

@Michaeltenerife

The RS inverter is an offgrid design, so no AC charging, making it it cost less. Also has no transformer like the multiplus design, for the same reasons. So lighter as well. The built in mppt uses up to a 450v solar string (based on battery float voltage)

I have one at home. It is simple, with basic built-in monitoring. I Love it. It is not a VE bus product.

The ve bus inverter products you can add a ve bus Bluetooth dongle for basic monitoring.

0 Likes 0 ·