question

frosty avatar image
frosty asked

Low temperature protection.

Hello and thanks in advance for your time.

I'm running a smart solar 150/70, bmv 700 and I'll be charging a 360ah self build lifepo4 battery, I'll be using a smart battery sense to protect from cold charging but I also need to protect the battery from cold charging when the b2b charger is running, any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Regards

James.

battery charging
3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

You forgot to tell which b2b charger you are using.

0 Likes 0 ·
frosty avatar image frosty klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

Apologies, it's a sterling 60a b2b, cheers.

0 Likes 0 ·
keving57 avatar image keving57 commented ·

Hi James, we have a very similar concern. I too am using the Victron Smart Battery Sense for MPPT charging protection in cold weather but that does not protect my generator or shore power from charging in sub-zero weather. I am trying to get this verified but I am using the Victron Multiplus 3000v and using the Victron temp sensor for Multiplus, I think that is how the Multiplus will know when to NOT charge my Lifepo4 batteries. I am also planning a DC to DC charger but I will do that after this gets finished. Thanks!

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

That's something your BMS should take care of.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

The cheaper Lifepo4 batteries do not have low temp protection, I have the same issue.
0 Likes 0 ·
I agree, it definitely should be part of the BMS but some of the Chinese batteries do not have that protection, unfortunately. They have great prices but require some additional protection is required. I don't know why they don't address that issue.
0 Likes 0 ·
bathnm avatar image
bathnm answered ·

Use the Cerbo temperature relay control, which is part of the new Venus OS 2.80 release. Use the relay in the Cerbo to control a SBP or similar to disconnect the charge sources when the temperature drops below 5 degrees. Alternatively if you have excess solar, maybe put some heat mats under the battery and use the Cerbo relay to switch the heat mats in and off.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic