question

eduan avatar image
eduan asked

Quattro: Charge from grid but don't slave/synchronize

Hi there!

I was wondering whether it would be possible to configure a multi-phase Quattro system to only utilize the external grid as a battery charging mechanism and not to synchronize against its voltage waveform. In other words allow the Victron system to generate its own VAC reference as if the grid wasn't there in the first place, but still allow DC rectification to charge the batteries.

The reason I'm asking is due to our system running in a fairly rural environment and the quality of the grid supply being poor (both over and under voltage as well as frequency quality). We seem to be suffering equipment damage due to this.

While I assume we could tighten the loss of main high and low limits, we would still prefer running isolated.

For reference, the system comprises of:

• Gateway - Color Control GX
  • VE.Bus - 3x Quattro 48/15000/200-2x100
  • Battery monitor - Generic Can-bus BMS battery (Freedomwon 40/28)
  • Solar charger - SmartSolar Charger MPPT 250/100 rev2
  • Solar charger - SmartSolar Charger MPPT 250/100 rev2
MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Chargerbattery charginggrid
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @Eduan,

This question seems very similar to this one already answered here.

Please let me know if I have misunderstood though.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

eduan avatar image eduan commented ·

Apologies for the duplicate post and thank you for your response.

If I understand the question you linked correctly, the best solution would be to completely disconnect my Quattros from the grid and add an additional stand-alone charger in parallel?

Do you might have any specific Victron equipment you would recommend? So basically something that takes as input single or 3 phase power and charge a battery as an integrated member on the CCGX?

0 Likes 0 ·