question

petermcgowan avatar image
petermcgowan asked

External Fuse Size for Orion-Tr DC-DC Converter 48/12-30

Hello All, Wondering what size I should use for external fuse, I can't find it in the Datasheet or User Manual. Thanks! Peter

Orion DC-DC Converters not smart
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ยท

A fuse is used to protect the wiring. Select a fuse appropriate for the wiring that you are using in you installation.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

petermcgowan avatar image petermcgowan commented ยท

Thanks WKirby. A 70amp fuse will protect the wire (AWG6, 48V, 2m). I was not sure whether the Orion would handle that current or I should protect it with a smaller fuse.

0 Likes 0 ยท
kai avatar image
kai answered ยท
1 comment
2 |3000

petermcgowan avatar image petermcgowan commented ยท

Thanks Kai, I had been puzzled by that point, or more specifically that even though it's overload and short circuit proof it still notes that all models require an input fuse (the 12/24v have an internal input fuse and the 48v requires one but with no suggested rating). I may be missing something, but I concluded the internal input fuse on the 12/24v protects the device (if it was protecting the input wire wouldn't it be at the supply end of the wire?) , so I assumed the same was the case with the 48v model, i.e. it's protecting for catastrophic failure where the short circuit and overload protection don't actually work. So I went ahead and found the smallest rated 48v fuse I could find from Blue Seas which was a MRBF 30amp. It'll certainly protect the wire, and it shouldn't blow in regular use as it's about double the watts the Orion should be pulling (allowing for colder temperatures and/or lower than 89% efficiency).

0 Likes 0 ยท

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Victron DC-DC converters product page