question

stavarda avatar image
stavarda asked

Multiple MPPT controller to GX device

wanted some advice about multiple 6 MPPT controllers , On a sail boat so different panels can be in shade, Present set up would be the CANvu GX Know there is a limit on Ve Direct connections, so was going to use a USB hub, Will also be looking at connecting a Wind Genny and Hydro Genny connection to the system. But that another story for later. What i want to know is will the CANvu GX be able to see the 6 MPPT and they be able to see each other with the USB hub in the Mix?

I see there are a few options available to up grade the system now to use The Cerbo GX with has 15 Ve ports, but i looked at pics and dont see that many , what would i need for multiple port a USB hub ? so back to the above question would the MPPT's be able to see each other.

The other option is to upgrade the MPPT's to the newer units with Ve Bus connecitons that can be daisy chained together, whats available just now are over kill.

Any suggestions or advice welcome.

@Mark saw a similar post that you answer very well

Autotransformer
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @Stavarda

VE.Direct capability can be achieved with usb (with interface cables), and a usb hub (Victron don't recommend 'cheapies'). So the ports on the outside don't mean too much.

The processing capability within does though, and the CANvu can only handle 4x VE.Direct functional connections. You'll need to delve a little, but the models are compared here: https://www.victronenergy.com/live/venus-os:start

So your choices cut down somewhat, and maybe even consider having more than 6x available for future expansion.

The CAN kit is really for specialty applications, and CAN mppt's only in larger models, so unlikely to suit you.

VE.Bus on mppts is new to me. The ports are the same as CAN, but best not confused.

No need to select a model with a screen, ethernet can deal with that, and/or hdmi on the Cerbo.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Mark avatar image
Mark answered ·

Hi Stavarda,

Some additional information;

1- The multiple MPPT units will not communicate with each other via the VE.Direct interface and a GX device - the primary function of the VE.Direct interface is to transmit status data from all MPPTs to the GX device.

However the VE.Direct interface does allow certain control of/data to the MPPT units from the GX device, primarily via the DVCC features which are; system charge current limit, SVS - shared voltage sense, STS - shared temperature sense and SCS - shared current sense (for triggering absorption end based on tail current). See; https://www.victronenergy.com/live/doku.php?id=ccgx%3Astart&do=#dvcc_features_for_all_systems

Each MPPT unit will still operate independently and could be in a different charge phase.

2- Full synchronised charging between multiple MPPT units is a brand new feature released in MPPT FW v1.47 - this is acheived via Bluetooth connectivity with a common VE.Smart Network.

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/victronconnect:ve-smart-networking

This functionality requires use of SmartSolar MPPT units.

Alternatively, you could use the new MPPT units with a VE.Can and VE.Direct interface, using a daisy chain VE.Can network between each unit. But these are only offered in the bigger sizes, so may not be cost effective for your setup.

https://www.victronenergy.com/solar-charge-controllers/smartsolar%20mppt%20ve.can

2 |3000

Doug Ruth avatar image
Doug Ruth answered ·

Some questions related to synchronized charging and Remote On/Off, for multiple (2-3X) BlueSolar or SmartSolar charge controllers, having only the VE.Direct port, connected to a Cerbo GX. Due to physical size limitations I can only use the smaller BS or SS charge controllers (BS100/50, BS150/35, BS150/45, SS100/50, SS150/45). This thread touched on these issues, and I couldn't find another thread directly addressing my questions, hence I posted in this thread.

1) From what I've read, if they are networked together via the VE.Smart (bluetooth) network, they will synchronize their charging (charge state, e.g., Bulk, Absorption, Float). But this only works with the SmartSolar, as synchronization is not supported if a BlueTooth dongle is used (E.g., with the BlueSolar charge controllers). Is this correct?

2) However if several BlueSolar charge controllers, with only the VE.direct port, are connected to the Cerbo GX via their VE.Direct ports, is synchronized charging possible? I.e., does/can the Cerbo GX enable synchronized charging between multiple VE.Direct-connected BlueSolar charge controllers?

3) Is Remote On/Off possible via the VE.Direct connection to the Cerbo GX? None of these smaller Blue/SmartSolar charge controllers have a Remote On/Off port. There is a VE.Direct non-inverting remote on/off cable, but that would prevent connecting the charge controller to the Cerbo GX as stated on the Victron data sheet:

1660684568723.png

4) If DVCC is supported by the battery BMS, and enabled by the Cerbo GX, will that take care of shutting down the BlueSolar or SmartSolar charge controllers when needed, via the Charge Voltage Limit (CVL) and Charge Current Limit (CCL) messages, thus alleviating the need for Remote On/Off?

Thanks, Doug

1660684568723.png (67.0 KiB)
2 |3000