question

Michael Connolly avatar image
Michael Connolly asked

Problem with temp sensor hookup.

Hi all

I received my Temp Sensor and swapped out the single wire power supply for the double wireed sensor. The 712 did not work. Replaced the single wire, the 712 worked. Checked the pins were in the right holes, check! Still 712 will not power up on the two wire sensor setup. Checked the voltage was coming through. Found what I think is the problem. In the single wire the voltage is thus...13.49v

But with the dual wire sensor the power wire only carries ...10.41v

Checked the bolt down on the terminal...all good!

Do I have a faulty unit??

Mick

Temperature Sensorbmv 712
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Michael Connolly avatar image
Michael Connolly answered ·

My work around is using the old cable in the powerpin slot and the new temp monitor pin in the other slot. Getting temp readings now AND the 712 is working!

Must be the power cable of the brand new temp sensor dual cable kit. Disappointing!

6 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

wandernotlost avatar image wandernotlost commented ·

@Michael Connolly I have the EXACT same problem with my temp sensor. I even checked the fuse on the power wire and it was still in tact. Glad to know you found a work around. I will have to try that, too, tomorrow!

Your work around worked. Just make sure you connect the temp sensor lug on the parallel batteries, if you have both a big enough bank to have them in both series and parallel. If you put it on a series battery, the temperature reads incorrectly.

1 Like 1 ·
Michael Connolly avatar image Michael Connolly commented ·

And yes it’s warm here!!!

0 Likes 0 ·

Hi Mick,

That is disappointing, but happy to hear you got a workaround going.

Did you check the fuse on the cable? Might be a bad connection?

0 Likes 0 ·
wandernotlost avatar image wandernotlost Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·

@Guy Stewart (Victron Energy Staff) I have the EXACT same problem with my temp sensor. I did check the fuse and it was still good to go and had nothing impeding the connection on either end.

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ wandernotlost commented ·

Thanks for letting us know. There was recently a change made to replace the 100mA fuse with a 1A fuse.

Could you please try that and see if it fixes the issue?

This has already been corrected in manufacturing.

0 Likes 0 ·
wandernotlost avatar image wandernotlost Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·

I don’t have easy access to a mini 1amp fuse. I checked around here and I only have full size 1 amp fuses. They won’t fit in the integrated fuse holder.

I would be willing to try replacement if you want to send me one.

0 Likes 0 ·
Martijn Coster (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Martijn Coster (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi all,
The BMV temperature sensor is a simple product designed to make connecting power en temperature to a BMV simple.

Also simple products fail sometimes. If you sensor doesnt work please contact the dealer were you have bought it and have a new one deliverd for free.

Martijn Coster - Victron Energy

2 |3000

Related Resources

Victron temperature sensor disambiguation table - which product supports which sensor

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic