question

aare avatar image
aare asked

BMV-702 temperature sensor type

Is it a thermocouple, resistance (PT-100, PT-1000, other) or some other kind of sensor?

BMV Battery MonitorTemperature Sensor
4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

dtaschler avatar image dtaschler commented ·

I can confirm that it is not an LM335Z, and I'm pretty sure it is not a PT100 or PT1000, as those are RTDs (Resistance Temperature Detectors). I am fairly certain that it is a NTC Bead Thermistor (we had a damaged one that we opened up to look at). My calculations indicate a 150kΩ (@25°C) with a B parameter of approximately 4021K. The only issue is that I can't seem to find one from suppliers like Mouser or Digikey.

0 Likes 0 ·

It is definitely an NTC Bead Thermistor. We found one that is close. Vishay PN NTCLE100E3154GB0. B-parameter of 4370K. It is remarkably close to the Victron original.

0 Likes 0 ·
benl avatar image benl dtaschler commented ·

@dtaschler, what makes you say it's an NTC thermistor? I recently bought a BMV-712/BMV-702 sensor (ASS000100000), and attempted to measure its open-circuit parameters: it has > 10MOhm resistance, and is also open in both directions when tested as a diode (to 17V).

I'm guessing it's a LM35 or similar IC configured in a two-wire circuit (e.g. figs 17, 19 of the LM35 datasheet).

0 Likes 0 ·
sv-soleil avatar image sv-soleil dtaschler commented ·

@dtaschler so could you explain (if you recall) how you wired up the NTC thermistor to replicate the ASS000100000? Did it work? You never answered @BenL‘s questions.

0 Likes 0 ·
4 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

It's a bit of a mystery at the moment.

I'm pretty sure it's not a thermocouple.
I'm pretty sure it's not a data type one like DS18B20

I think it's most likely a zener based one like LM335Z (but it is not LM335Z).
Resistive is quite possible too.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

aare avatar image
aare answered ·

So if we share one temperature sensor output between two BMV-702, shall additional error be small, like less than 1 deg C?

2 comments
2 |3000

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

Hi Aare; you’ll have to test that to find out. I’m sorry but its not a use case common enough thath I want one of our r&d engineers to spend time on making an answer.

0 Likes 0 ·

Being that the temp sensor uses resistance, it is possible that there will be significant error when two BMV devices are in parallel.. As stated earlier, test to confirm.

0 Likes 0 ·
Craig Myatt avatar image
Craig Myatt answered ·

dtaschler said: It is definitely an NTC Bead Thermistor. We found one that is close. Vishay PN NTCLE100E3154GB0. B-parameter of 4370K. It is remarkably close to the Victron original.

I have just verified this. I swapped out an actual BMV702 temp sensor...with this NTC thermistor...and was identical temperature.

2 |3000

sv-soleil avatar image
sv-soleil answered ·

@Craig Myatt so you verified that the ASS000100000 sensor uses an NTC 150k as @dtaschler described.

Besides the NTC thermistor itself are any other parts required? Just hook up 12v to one lead, and send both leads back to the SmartShunt or Dongle?

(Some have claimed it’s is not a NTC thermistor but an LM35, any comments?)

2 |3000

Related Resources

Victron temperature sensor disambiguation table - which product supports which sensor

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic