question

mansoor184 avatar image
mansoor184 asked

Is it possible to charge Li-ion battery system using BlueSolar PWM charge controller ?

PWM charge controller uses the following sequence to charge the battery - bulk, absorption and float voltages.

But Li-ion battery requires the following sequence in its charging cycle: (i) first constant current charging; (ii) constant voltage charging.

I am worried that whether my battery will catch fire. So any one has experience in charging Li-ion battery using PWM charger? Any pointers or help is much appreciated

Lithium BatteryBlueSolar PWM
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ยท

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Datasheet-BlueSolar-Charge-Controllers-12-24V-LCD&USB-EN.pdf

It is possible if the battery has its own BMS. I would not say all PWM charge controllers would be great for Li-Ion (because of the fire possibility) as they would need a good charge algorithm specifically designed for Li-Ion, such as the one described by the datasheet linked.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ttbb avatar image ttbb commented ยท

" I would not say all PWM charge controllers would be great for Li-Ion (because of the fire possibility"

With lithium iron phosphate cells they can be safely charged to 4.2v per cell. It is pointless as there is no real capacity gain to be had up there and faster cell degradation but that is where you can charge them to safely. 12v battery 4 cells = 16.8v . Even with a standard lead acid PWM profile fire is not so much the issue. BMS systems will cut before then anyway.

Too low a charge voltage and moving over to float too early so the battery will not get a full state of charge is more off the issue with the fixed profile PWMs.

A 12v 3s NMC @ 12.6v max charge it's a no no. A 4s NMC @ 16.8v max charge and a standard profile lead acid PWM will never go high enough to fully charge the battery.

0 Likes 0 ยท

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Battery Compatibility

Did You Know - How to create a battery profile for non-Victron batteries?

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic