question

willemoud avatar image
willemoud asked

2 Multiplus in parallel - failed shortly after powering on

The installer installed 2 multiplus in parallel (2x 5KWh), but 2 minutes after powerup, the 'master' inverter 'blew up'. I need to know if the installer has followed the correct methods. He is not experienced with Victron. Is there an expert I can show diagrams or an install manual I can refer to specifically for parallel connections ?

Multiplus-IIMultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

6 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

Just show us some pictures and/or a wiring diagram, here are many experts. :)

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ve.bus:manual_parallel_and_three_phase_systems

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

Wiring Unlimited has some useful information on parallel systems.

2 |3000

willemoud avatar image
willemoud answered ·

Here are some wiring photos

1) 7 x Lithium Titinate (LTO), batteries in parallel

2) Master Victron on the right and slave on the left.
The Master (right one), burnt out after about 2 minutes from power-up. Batteries were almost full

3) SMA grid connected solar inverter with 5 solar panel strings coming in.

dsc00038-sm.jpg (714.6 KiB)
dsc00040-sm.jpg (574.2 KiB)
dsc00007-sm.jpg (568.2 KiB)
5 comments
2 |3000

Do you have pictures of the wiring inside the inverters?

0 Likes 0 ·
willemoud avatar image willemoud Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

not yet, but I will try to get them.

Thanks for trying to help me out :)

0 Likes 0 ·
willemoud avatar image willemoud Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

If you notice the wiring coming from the batteries into the control box, you can assume the wiring lengths are NOT the same.

Is that a possible cause for the Victron inverter burning out, especially considering there are only 2 inverters in parallel ?

0 Likes 0 ·

I now have 2 photos, but maybe they don't have the detail you are after ??

0 Likes 0 ·

Hi

willemoud avatar image

Here are some wiring photos

1) 7 x Lithium Titinate (LTO), batteries in parallel

2) Master Victron on the right and slave on the left.
The Master (right one), burnt out after about 2 minutes from power-up. Batteries were almost full

3) SMA grid connected solar inverter with 5 solar panel strings coming in.

dsc00038-sm.jpg (714.6 KiB)
dsc00040-sm.jpg (574.2 KiB)
dsc00007-sm.jpg (568.2 KiB)
· ·
4 comments · Share · Accept
Hi Daniël could you please take a look at my photos and let me know if it's informative enough ?

Do you need to see the channeling ?

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @willemoud

Please have the installer fix your system, and when they are in need of help they know how to contact Victron sales for support.

2 |3000

podilamaya avatar image
podilamaya answered ·

@willemoud

Did you found what made the multi plus blow up?

2 |3000

willemoud avatar image
willemoud answered ·

Yes, unfortunately the installer of the 2 multiplus in parallel (2x 5KWh) did not program the system correctly.

2 |3000