question

e-a-s-y avatar image
e-a-s-y asked

phoenix inverter and solar inverter on output

hello,

on the manual of the muti plus is written this:

"When solar inverters are connected to the output of a Multi or Quattro, the excess solar energy is used to recharge the batteries......"

but what is with the phoenix inverters ?

what happens with the phoenix inverter when a solar inverter is connectet to the phoenix inverters output ?

tanks

easy

Phoenix Invertersolar
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

Well a Phoenix does not have the ability to charge a battery or to export out to the mains.

so when the solar inverter puts out more power than what you are using in the house things will go BANG

so basically the excess solar energy from the solar inverter will cause the AC voltage to rise and then things will go BANG as there is nowhere for the excess solar energy to go

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

rattus avatar image
rattus answered ·

Hi.

So @e_a_s_y , not to be a smarty pants but which multiplus are we talking about here? I've gone through a few manuals (not all) and not found that quote. And when you say 'solar inverter' what do you mean, an MPPT that first goes through a battery?

And, @Paul B , are you saying the Phoenix range should thus not be attached to battery/mppt/pv whose DC power production may exceed the AC output of the Phoenix?

I'm just trying to understand...

2 |3000

Phil Gavin avatar image
Phil Gavin answered ·

I have a 5kVA 48V Phoenix of about a 4-year-old vintage.

I have an AC-coupled PV inverter on it. This Phoenix model is bidirectional and will charge the batteries and perform frequency shifting. 1 to1 rule still applies.

The charger settings are available, just click the button:

1648813888860.png

And deploy a PV inverter assistant just like you would with the same vintage Multi.

PS: It actually has the same chip as a Multi.Not that I have tried but I reckon it would parallel with the same firmware Multi.

1648813888860.png (34.6 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

e-a-s-y avatar image e-a-s-y commented ·

thanks...

0 Likes 0 ·
e-a-s-y avatar image
e-a-s-y answered ·

hello,

i am talking about multiplus 2. (https://www.victronenergy.de/inverters-chargers/multiplus-ii)

meanwhile i am using 2x multiplus 2 (48v 5000VA) for my house.

and yes this multiplus can charge the battery if an solar-inverter (desciption below) put energy on the output to this multiplus.

in my oppinion the old gerneration of multiplus can do this too.

if i say "solar-inverter" i mean an cheap (or expensive) module converter or an simple string to grid converter.

i am using 4x ae-conversion INV 500 (https://www.aeconversion.de/de/inv500-90.html)

and one cheep 1200 grid tie inverter (like this https://www.amazon.de/Mophorn-Micro-Inverter-1200W-Modulwechselrichter/dp/B07QFVSCX8)

also an growwatt inverter like this (https://www.bau-tech.shop/wechselrichter/hauseinspeisung-2kw/growatt-wechselrichter-1500tl-einspeisung-ins-stromnetz1.html)

this devices are be connctet to a battery (INV500) or to the modules (1200 grid tie / growatt) and generates 230V AC energy in an existing grid.

this grid can be generated from the multiplus (oer the multiplus 2).

if the energy of the solar-inerters is greater than the use from the house.

then this energy go reverse thru the multiplus in the battery of the multiplus.

this is an very very great feature from victron!

in germany it is very dificult to get an ok for such an installation.

tons of paper, and many people want your cash.

with the multiplus i have an seperation of the public grid an my house grid, so i be save in the german rules.

but only if the AC input of the multiplus is not connected.

if i will get power from the public grid, i use chargers to power the battery of the multiplus directly.

there are of course some losses, but there are also great features, the whole house has an UPS and i have an reduced voltage of 220V (can be set in multiplus).

in my question on top i would know if this great feature is also in the phoenix inverters.

and paul´s answer was correct, they havent it.

i am very happy with multiplus, victron is an very good brand.

1 comment
2 |3000

e-a-s-y avatar image
e-a-s-y answered ·

ok, yes i see, thank u

2 |3000

Related Resources

Phoenix Inverter product page

Phoenix Inverter Smart product page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic