question

rheinskipper avatar image
rheinskipper asked

Blue Smart IP67 12/25 does not charge battery to 100% full. Please add advanced settings.

I use a Blue Smart IP67 12/25 on my boat to charge a 165 Ah AGM spiral cell battery bank.

Unfortunately the charger switches to float mode before the battery is full.

On a motorboat the battery is usually discharged while out at anchor. When driving back to the marina most of the energy is restored by the alternator. So if shore power is plugged in at the marina the Blue Smart charger reaches absorption voltage very quickly and thinks the battery is already full. This results in absorption time to be miscalculated too short.

I would need some advanced settings to modify calculation of absorption time, or at least a way to manually set minimal or fixed absorption time.

charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @RheinSkipper

I don't think you can change that. And frankly, I'm not sure you should want to anyway. Float mode will still charge them, just not as aggressively as Absorb.

I guess we all differ in our charge preferences, and it depends how long you're to be connected at the marina, but my preference would be a softer approach, like in Float or even Storage mode.

Showing my age, but I'd rather walk than sprint. I'll still get there, and my body appreciates me for looking after it.. :)

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

rheinskipper avatar image rheinskipper commented ·

Lead acid batteries need proper absorption charging. If charging at float voltage only, they will be destroyed over time because of sulfatation.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic