question

aerial avatar image
aerial asked

Failure to connect BMV-700 to Bluetooth Smart Dongle

I have a BMV-700 and a Bluetooth VE direct smart dongle. I plugged the dongle into the BMV, and held the reset button; the dongle began alternately flashing the red/blue lights. I connected to the dongle with my iPhone using Victron Connect, and followed the prompts for updating the dongle firmware. I also connected my computer to the BMV with a USB/VE direct cable and updated the BMV's firmware. With the dongle plugged into the BMV, I saw both red and blue lights on solid. Using my iPhone's VC app I see the dongle appear, and I can connect to it, at which point the red light goes out. In the VC app I can see options about the dongle - change pin code, rename et cetera, but I cannot see any information about the BMV that the dongle is plugged into.

I reset the PIN on the dongle, made sure that all firmware was updated (including the VC app) and tried holding the dongle's button while unplugged, plugging it into the BMV, and repeating the setup process. I was never able to access anything more than the dongle's settings in VC.

I appreciate any suggestions or advice. The dongle was purchased used - perhaps it is faulty? The BMV was purchased new, and has never been used with a smart dongle before. I checked the BMV manual looking for any settings I needed to change to allow interfacing with the dongle, but I found none.

BMV Battery MonitorBluetoothVE.Direct Bluetooth Smart Dongle
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

The reset button on the dongle is used for resetting the PIN code.

Please consult the Victron Connect Manual.

4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

aerial avatar image aerial commented ·

I have referred to the VC manual, with no success. The dongle remains in the state of blinking the red/blue lights on and off (both lights come on, both lights go off) and no ability to connect to the connected device (charge controller, BMV, et cetera)

0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ aerial commented ·

Please check the LED code and report back.

Also unplug the dongle, then plug it in to reboot it.

0 Likes 0 ·
aerial avatar image aerial klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

Rebooted multiple times with no effect. Code appears to be "VE Direct Gateway - Not Connected". Both LED's flash at the same time and at the same interval.

0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ aerial commented ·

It would be best to contact your reseller for return, testing/replacement.

0 Likes 0 ·
barbeds avatar image
barbeds answered ·

Have you checked that your location is showing in Google maps ? It will not run otherwise

2 |3000

Related Resources

Victron BMV battery monitors product page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic