question

Max avatar image
Max asked

Feature request: Improve rebulk function to prevent overcharging lithium batteries

I am charging a lithium bank with a SmartSolar 75/15 controller. I have noted the following issues:

1/ The rebulk voltage threshold (float setpoint - rebulk offset) has no configurable detection time, so using a heavy load briefly causes the controller to return to bulk when it should stay in float because the state of charge (SoC) is still high. It would be very useful to be able to configure the "rebulk voltage detection time" so it could be programmed to a few minutes.

2/ The controller restarts a new cycle with bulk each morning, regardless of SoC. It is desirable for lead-acid cells, but NOT for lithium. Make this an option, so the battery can discharge over several days if needed before a new bulk phase is initiated.

Using the "remote on/off" feature to slave the controller to a BMS doesn't fully address these issues, because being able to have the controller in float at a lower voltage allows extending the discharge cycles by using solar energy for loads when available and this can greatly reduce the number of cycles on the battery over time. Ideally, I would like to be able to also force float (or not) from the BMS, but this would likely require hardware alterations.

MPPT ControllersLithium Battery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Jan Neumann avatar image
Jan Neumann answered ·

I agree with that: rebulking everyday on a full LiFePo4 battery doesn't make sense. It should stay in float-stage until the rebulk offset is reached. I were thinking, that the daily rebulking is a bug until I read here that it is standard behaviour. PLEASE, VICTRON: for the health of our LiFePo4- batteries make rebulking after darkness an option to switch off!!!

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

gainestr avatar image
gainestr answered ·

I couldn’t agree more with the above comments. I feel restarting every day in bulk mode is not desirable for LiFePO4’s. I have had to create a new charge profile and have set the new bulk charge equal to what my float charge should be. It’s a work around but Victron should be able easily allow the user to decide if they want each day to start in bulk or simply go back to float especially if the battery never went below the rebulk voltage. This needs to be addressed or I wouldn’t consider it a smart controller.

2 |3000