question

doire avatar image
doire asked

Lost connection Venus GX to VRM

Dear Sirs, My Venus GX was installed on 20 Dec and showed up properly on the VRM for about 4 days. Unfortunately, it then lost contact and i have no way of knowing what the problem is. I have confirmed Internet connectivity but the connect to the VRM seems to keep switching off. It seems that the wifi connection is fine. When I connect directly to VENUS via Ethernet direct connection all features seem to work correctly. Is there anything you can see your side?

VRM
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi Doire; welcome!

Please see the related trouble shooting guide here: https://www.victronenergy.com/live/vrm_portal:troubleshooting_ccgx_vrm_connectivity.

Please go through the steps; and for the community here to help you; report here the result.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

doire avatar image doire commented ·

Thank you, but I have been through all those steps. Since I could toggle the connection "on" and it then showed up as Off, I am inclined to suspect my ISP of blocking the necessary outgoing access on the required ports. My provider is unusual in that they use LTE and a locked down router for our connection in a rural area. I have a ticket opened with them.

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ doire commented ·

Hi, what do you mean with switch it on and then it showed up as off?

Can you post a picture of the vrm logger settings menu?

0 Likes 0 ·
doire avatar image doire mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

Thank you. Took photos but I think that they tell us nothing new.

I again disconnected the USB connection to the WiFi adaptor and plugged it back in. That yielded a connection for a few minutes, then the VRM disconnected by itself. The "Remote Console on VRM status" toggled between Online and Offline as I watched. I later removed the USB connection again-- and without any other changes-, it stayed on line this time. I have regained connection and data. However, without an explanation as to why this happened I can have little faith in VRM. I await ISP response. Thanks, Martin

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi Doire. This reeks of a local wifi issue, even though you *think* it's fine.

Given your ethernet works, it's unlikely your ISP will be able to offer much.

Distance between router & dongle? What dongle? What router? Etc... perhaps something there making it flaky.

Depends on what gear you have in your spares bin, perhaps a usb extension cord, but there's other ways to test, like a laptop or a phone even. But test you should..

2 |3000

doire avatar image
doire answered ·

Sorry, I must have been unclear. The ethernet connection was just directly to the Venus GX offering as a host.

I think that you are right. I have tried different WiFi dongles without success. My laptop and iPad have not trouble connecting to the home router, showing about 3 on signal strength. The distance is about 8 m, with one cavity wall and a window intervening.

I have put on a USB extension cord and relocated the dongle, and that leaves me on for now. However, I think the solution will be a WiFi dongle with higher gain or a direct ethernet connection. I am still puzzled as to why a connection would fail and then not reconnect as signal conditions vary, but conclude (as you suggest) that a more reliable connection will be the answer.

Thanks to all for inputs and observations.

Martin

1 comment
2 |3000

JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ commented ·

Yeh, I tried a couple I had lying about, with no success whatsoever. And I don't blame Victron for that. This link is a little old now, but there's links from there too.. https://www.victronenergy.com/blog/2014/12/12/color-control-gx-accessories-tips/

I'll probably grab one of the long-ranger's with my next order (I suffer blue-kit-addiction).

Good luck with it Martin. Happy New Year too.

0 Likes 0 ·
doire avatar image
doire answered ·

Many thanks John C, and Happy New Year to you also— at least we shall have electricity!

I am minded to purchase the Asus unit with antennae and await the update needed for the drivers.

Thanks again,

Martin.

2 |3000