question

jaywolfe avatar image
jaywolfe asked

Autotransformer step up wiring

Hi. Victron gods :-)

I have wired my autotransformer to give me 240vac (single leg ) from 1 leg my 120vac quattro.

This means I can operate the u.s appliances in my rv and some uk plugs whatever the input..

I also wired the autotransformer via a manual transfer switch so I could choose the output 1 or 2 to either utilise passthrough or inverter power.

I believe the autotransformer is bi - directional so I wired the 120vac supply into the 120 /0 /120 side and out the side with the trips , into the rcd / 240 distribution.

Everything works as it should I get 1 leg of 240 not 2 legs of 120 as I want to.

I just wanted to check the way I wired it was correct. Do I need to add any protection for the autotransformer as the trips are effectively on the way out of the box.

Thankyou.

Jay

Autotransformer
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
ben avatar image
ben answered ·

You're good with using it in that direction.

Anything you add in terms of protection would be for wire overcurrent... you're protecting the wire from burning, not the autotransformer. You'll have to decide if your circuit risks merit having OCPD on that incoming pair. (You probably should, unless you can prove to yourself that there's not enough supply capability to melt that wire.)

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.