question

mark-moussa avatar image
mark-moussa asked

3-phase Star supply to 3-phase Delta load

Hi,

In the Phoenix inverter manual I could read that the Phoenix is not suitable for delta configuration when used in 3 phase.

I am questioning the possibility to feed a 3-phase delta load from a 3-phase star source made out of 3 Phoenix inverters ?

Is that possible or there are any concerns ?

Kindly advise.

Thank you

3 phase
capture.jpg (64.7 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @Mark Moussa

The inverters have / need a fixed N-E connection so only Y topology works.

The load can be delta, so it does work, but the inverters themselves cannot be connected in delta. so your load has to be 400 VAC Delta (when using 230VAC inverters)

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mark-moussa avatar image mark-moussa commented ·

Thank you @Daniël Boekel for your answer.

In that case, even using star-delta starter with the motor cannot solve the issue ?

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ mark-moussa commented ·

Hi @Mark Moussa

Oops..I seem to have misread your question!

Yes, a load can be 3 phase delta, no problem.

If the load is a motor, make sure to have enough capacity for starting it, for a bigger motor, a star-delta switch (or a variable frequency drive) can help starting up the motor easier.

0 Likes 0 ·
mark-moussa avatar image mark-moussa Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

Great. Thank you for your prompt response

0 Likes 0 ·