question

Allan Yates avatar image
Allan Yates asked

Skylla-IP44 12/60 Chargers stuck not charging until power cycled - no faults shown

Speaking of firmware issues... I run a pair of Skylla-IP44 12/60 chargers, synced, driving a 750 AH FLA battery bank. These are currently being powered by shore power (120 VAC).

I visited our ship today, and noticed that the chargers were not charging the battery bank. All voltmeters were reading ~12.4 volts and the charge current was zero. No faults were being flagged, and everything was fully powered. The chargers indicated they were in absorption mode.

Power cycling the chargers resulted in full charging current immediately.

@mvader (Victron Energy Staff) @Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff)

The chargers are both running firmware v1.05, the CCGX v2.33, the Batter Monitor v3.10, and the Skylla-i Control has at least v1.03 (for the max input current fix for dual chargers).

Please let me know what other details I can provide such that the root cause can be identified and a firmware fix released.

Thanks,

Allan.

Before Monitor

Before Charger A

Before Charger B

Before Control

After Monitor

After Charger B

battery chargingSkylla
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi @Allan Yates, thanks for reporting. And sorry for the troubles! We’ll look into it and get back to you.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Allan Yates avatar image
Allan Yates answered ·

@mvader (Victron Energy Staff) Just touching base on this... Thx.

2 comments
2 |3000

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

Hi @Allan Yates, yes, sorry for the silence. We did find the issue and are working on a fix for it, I expect to have a software update next week.

0 Likes 0 ·
Allan Yates avatar image Allan Yates mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

Thanks for the update!

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi @Allan Yates, today we released firmware version v1.06 for the Skylla IP44, which fixes the issue you are having (charger can stop charging when supplied with low AC voltage, ie. 120V and lower). And again, I'm really sorry for these issues. It shouldn't have been like this.

Can you arrange an internet connection to your GX Device? Because then you can update the charger using this feature: https://www.victronenergy.com/live/vrm_portal:remote-firmware-update .

If not, let me know and we'll find another solution.

1 comment
2 |3000

Allan Yates avatar image Allan Yates commented ·

Excellent! A two week turnaround for a software fix, based on nothing but a few photographs, rates as amazing in my books! In my professional life I used to work in software QA, and currently do technical pre-sales software work. In Amsterdam at least once a year :)

The installation doesn't currently have a network connection as I am testing another monitoring device with the single Ethernet port on my cellular modem. But I should be at the ship this Thursday or Friday and will get the upgrade completed then.

Dank u wel!

0 Likes 0 ·
Allan Yates avatar image
Allan Yates answered ·

Have updated the charger firmware. Will let you know if anything else goes amiss. Thanks!

fw.jpg (34.0 KiB)
2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

VictronConnect VE.Bus charging manual