question

bibou avatar image
bibou asked

Add another MultiPlus or buy a larger one?

Bonjour I have a solar installation with a Victron Multiplus 24/3000 I would like to increase the capacity Is it best to increase with another Multiplus 3000 or change to a miltiplus 5000 ? Thanks for the reply.

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Chargersystem design
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

Adding another 24/3000 is less upfront cost and you can keep using the existing one.

Changing up to a 24/5000 is more cost and you cannot use the 24/3000 in the same system. If you have other plans for the existing 24/3000 the this option would make sense.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

bibou avatar image
bibou answered ·

Thank you for your reply

So the logical solution is to use 2 24/3000 ?

There is no problem of higher consumption or 1 working more than the other ?

2 comments
2 |3000

JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ commented ·

Hi Bibou. Power consumption issues between the two options should be so small as to be insignificant.

But they will need to be linked together with a data cable (VE.Bus), and be exactly the same model and firmware. And set up to sync the power. If you have an older unit, then it may not suffice to expect a new one to be compatible.

I won't delve there deeply just yet, but if you have a newer model with a 'product id' number starting with 26, then it would likely be ok.

0 Likes 0 ·
andre avatar image andre commented ·

Howzit, I had an old 3 kW Multi and wanted to expand to 6 kW. I had the board on the old Multi replaced by the more recent version to allow running them in parallel (=brain transplant)- it worked like a charm and was still much cheaper compared to buying a larger inverter.

0 Likes 0 ·
dgorman avatar image
dgorman answered ·

What kind of shore power do you plan on using? North America 50A shore power presents challenges .

2 |3000