question

JohnC avatar image
JohnC asked

VRM access to local GX LAN address.

This is a minor issue, and possibly just a bug. But it's new.

My system sometimes resets it's lan address (my fault, not Victron's). VRM rolls on relentlessly, as expected. So sometimes when I need to access the GX screen locally, I have to ask for the new address via 'Device list' in VRM. Except now it doesn't cough the new address, and retains the old one.

To find the new one, VRM can provide it via 'Remote Console', but from the other side of the world, a little sluggish.

Might impinge few, but for me a little disconcerting when Device List isn't showing the truth - even in underlined blue, click on it and it 'errors'. Sure a GX reboot might fix it, but hey..

2.42 GX firmware. For you Teun, should be a yawn.. :)

VRM
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Javier Comellys avatar image Javier Comellys commented ยท
Hi All, I have problem to connect the software Victron Connect (PC versiรณn) to the Venus GX. I can do a Ping to the equipment (I have communication), but in the software (Local) I have a message Can not find the equipment. I appreciate your support.
0 Likes 0 ยท
2 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ยท

Instead of entering the IP you should be able to type in " venus.local ".
Or you use VictronConnect, if you in the same network as the venus it should be shown in the device list there.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

JohnC avatar image JohnC โ™ฆ commented ยท

Dang, that works great. Ta.

I don't use VictronConnect. And Device List on VRM still needs a catchup.

Thanks muchly.

0 Likes 0 ยท
ttbb avatar image
ttbb answered ยท

So you are saying the GX IP is reset due to DHCP? You could use a 'manual' fixed IP for it.

There are three really easy ways you can do this to make it memorable and have no potential issues with duplicate IP address conflicts.

If your network router is 192.168.1.1 then you could set the DHCP to assign form 192.168.1.3
and use 192.168.1.2 as your static IP for the GX.

Alternatively you could go to the other end of the DHCP allocation and set a static IP of 192.168.1.254 so DHCP never gets near it. Some routers / devices use that though.

You can go for a mid point of 192.168.1.101 where unless you have 100 devices connected
DHCP is still not going to get near that but 101 is a very nice easy to remember number.

1 comment
2 |3000

JohnC avatar image JohnC โ™ฆ commented ยท

Yeh, I understand how networking needs to be. With no router, just a lappy & unroutable hotspot, I use ICS. Mostly the address stays the same, but not always.

I was just pointing out that 'Device List' no longer provides the right info, when it did before. Incorrect info is worse than no info..

M.Lange's workaround is magic. No idea how that works, coupla seconds lag, where an IP is instant, but I'll keep using his in any case. Maybe it won't work if the web is down, dunno. Ya learn something new every day, and that little treasure made my day.

Well, my New Year actually. Happy New Year to all..

0 Likes 0 ยท