question

gamma1966 avatar image
gamma1966 asked

How to manage relays on Multipass 3k?

I want to use voltage from the BM-702 to control relays on MP

MK3
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

@Gamma1966, please thoroughly read the user manuals for both your BMV-702 as well as your MultiPlus. Using the relay-out of your BMV to control various functions of the MultiPlus is possible, but how to do it depends entirely on what you're trying to accomplish, and will require the use of Assistants and very careful programming through VEConfig.

Here, for instance, is a way to use SOC readings from the BMV, along with three Assistants, to tell the MultiPlus when to ignore and re-accept AC input:

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/dc_coupling:using_bmv_soc_in_a_vebus_assistant_setup

Here is a more complex and creative use of Assistants in general: https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/8933/example-of-using-assistants-partial-off-grid-boat.html

Overall, step one is to fully read and understand the user manuals for your devices, then step two is to identify what exactly you're trying to accomplish and then, once you have a firm grasp of how the two devices operate and what you want to do with them, come back to us and ask a specific question and we can almost certainly get you pointed in the right direction.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

gamma1966 avatar image
gamma1966 answered ·

Thanks for the guidance and references.. I do not yet have the MP installed, just planning on how to manage the resources in my RV with this new system. I will have to spend time reading up on "The Assistants". I have not seen any mention of them in the Multipass Mannual, but I have downloaded the VE.Config software, so I assume when I start to use that I can learn more about the Assistants and general programming of the Victron equipment.

5 comments
2 |3000

Justin Cook avatar image Justin Cook ♦♦ commented ·

The vast majority of MultiPlus users do not need to program Assistants, thus why they're only mentioned sparingly in the manual. I suspect that you will not need to either, but it depends entirely on what you're trying to do... the relay-outs of the BMV and the relay-outs of the MultiPlus are separate and independently programmable. Once you establish what you're trying to do, get back to us with specific questions and we'll help as much as possible.

0 Likes 0 ·
gamma1966 avatar image gamma1966 Justin Cook ♦♦ commented ·

If I turn on the Multiplus 3000 aka MP3K ( i.e. switch on front panel is "ON" ) and I use a 3way switch on the remote control port "H" as shown in manual appendix A, to switch between "ON" and "Charge ONLY" does this over-ride the switch on the front?

If there is no AC voltage on the AC-IN point and no load on the AC1-Out point, and unit is in the "ON" mode, while it still try to run the inverter circuit and consume current from the battery bank that is always connected to the MP3K >

0 Likes 0 ·
Justin Cook avatar image Justin Cook ♦♦ gamma1966 commented ·

@Gamma1966, yes to both questions.

0 Likes 0 ·
gamma1966 avatar image gamma1966 Justin Cook ♦♦ commented ·

Thank you for your speedy reply and Happy New Year.

I plan to use a relay that is powered on by the external source of the "AC1-IN" point to switch a relay connecting the remote control point to be "ON" when energized. So when the relay is not energized, i.e. there is no voltage at "AC1-IN" the relay will connect the remote to be "Charge ONLY" and then the inverter will run NOT normally. And I will then be switching ON / OFF the voltage going to the "AC1-IN" point. This gives me the ability to either have the MP3K in normal operating mode ( I.e. Inverting with no voltage at "AC1-IN" and charging when voltage is at the "AC1-IN" point.) OR simply be off-line and not interacting with the AC loads / Batteries in the RV.

P.S. I am trying to find more information about how the "programming of the MP3K and BMV " works using the assistants. For the short term I can get the system installed and operating, since my supplier ( AMSolar.com ) has already configured the unit for my existing Victron equipment and batteries.

0 Likes 0 ·
Justin Cook avatar image Justin Cook ♦♦ gamma1966 commented ·

Hmmmm perhaps I'm misunderstanding what you're going for here, but I strongly suspect that what you're proposing is far more complicated than it needs to be.

Just switch it off if you want it off, you don't need relays for that.

It's also worth noting that the MultiPlus does not pass-through AC when it is switched off... so if you switch it off through any means, you will not have AC power even when connected to mains. Same goes for "charger only" mode... this mode does not pass-through AC.

Bottom line: if you're on shore power, just leave it on. If you're unplugged and you want inverted power, continue leaving it on. If you're unplugged and you don't want inverted power, switch it off.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic