question

michelbeausejour avatar image
michelbeausejour asked

MPPT Temperature compensation setting

Batteries.pdf

According to the battery profile document attached, what should be my temperature compensation setting for 2 x 6 volts wired in series? I have an SmartSolar MPPT 100-50.

Thanks!

temperature compensation
batteries.pdf (307.4 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @MichelBeausejour

from your document:

Please note the voltage settings displayed in the IUI with Pulse Termination Charge Prole graph, corresponds to the set points at 25°C (77°F). For temperatures below 25°C, adjust +0.005VPC/°C . For temperatures above 25°C, adjust -0.005VPC/°C

VPC = Volt Per Cell

so for 6 cells, multiply by 6 (0,03V/C)

6 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

michelbeausejour avatar image michelbeausejour commented ·

Thanks @Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff). I thought that I should be using the values from the IUU profile. Am I not correct?

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ michelbeausejour commented ·

What values?

0 Likes 0 ·
michelbeausejour avatar image michelbeausejour Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

The absorption and float voltages as well as the temperature compensation.

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ michelbeausejour commented ·

Is there a different temperature compensation value for that?

If not sure about the charge voltages: ask your supplier.
I -think- you can use the IUU profile, for charging with a Multi, use storage mode after 24 hours if you're not using the power.

Everything depends on how you use the system, is it off-grid, on-grid, backup, etc.

0 Likes 0 ·
michelbeausejour avatar image michelbeausejour Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

Here’s what I read from the IUU profile:

2.45 volt per cell for absorbtion

2.27 for float

.015 vpc for temperature compensation.

I am on-grid. Am I using the right profile ?

0 Likes 0 ·

Hi @MichelBeausejour

Ah yes, it says 2.45VPC +/-0.015VPC, but it doesn't state somewhere (or I didn't look right) that the +/- is temperature compensation (it would be very high for temp compensation)

normally +/- x means a tolerance of plus or minus x

I'd ask the battery distributor to be sure.

on-grid: is it for backup only or ESS? (or: standby use or cycle use)

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic