question

tkmbe avatar image
tkmbe asked

Feed MPPT75/15 with a 48V/7.3A (350W) dc power supply and use 24V battery bank

I read several threads in this forum about using MPPT with a dc power supply.

I want to do this, but have a doubt.

If I put at PV input a switchable dc power supply for example 48V/7.3A (350W) and use 24V battery bank I can get a current of about 14A (calculation without loss)

So I guess limit output current to battery to 10A will be fine and not burn up dc power supply nor the PV input which has a max input of 15A (I have 7.3A input)?

With this constelation I have a efficent UPS for 24V devices, battery low discharge protection and a data logger. Is this not nice?

dc systemups
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Aside from the data logging, is there any reason not to use the intended product for this application, the 48V to 24V Orion DC to DC instead?

https://www.victronenergy.com/dc-dc-converters/orion-tr-dc-dc-converters-isolated

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

tkmbe avatar image
tkmbe answered ·

As I see the orin son dc dc converters

I have 220V input, need a power supply and a orin dc dc converter which has a higher price as the solar charger. A part with my solution I can change the power supply with a solar panel and that's it...

So what is the pro to use this dc-dc converter?

1 comment
2 |3000

Warwick Bruce Chapman avatar image Warwick Bruce Chapman commented ·

The pro is it is the right tool for the job. It was designed to do that job you need done (converting 48 to 24v) whereas the MPPT is designed to convert a variable voltage and fluctuating current to something usable.

If you need to sometimes swap out the 48v source (as I understand this is a 220 AC to 48v DC power supply) with solar panels then the Orion will likely not work as the input voltage will be out of the expected range.

But read the data sheets on each.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic