question

cadoxa avatar image
cadoxa asked

How many energy meters will I need

On a single phase system, soon to be implemented, comprised of a Victron Quattro 48V/8000VA + Victron Smart Solar MPPT 250V/100A and a Color control GX how many energy meters do I need to buy one (grid metering) or two (grid + PV) ?Anyone know if the inverter or the Charger already already do the PV metering by themselves ?

Thankx

Energy Meter
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ยท

Hi Cadoxa.

You may not need any. Your Quattro has internal metering on both inputs, output, charge side too. So does the mppt. These are 'collected' by the CCGX and can be passed over the web to VRM for the full logging/graphing experience.

I'm not saying their accuracy is 'certifiable', but I find them pretty good.

From your other question, you have 24kW of Li's. The expensive part of your purchase, and many peeps find one of the BMV (dc) monitors most useful to monitor them and better coordinate the batts into the GX system.

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Datasheet-BMV-700-series-EN.pdf

Depends on how complex your system will become, but you may find the need to add other bits'n'bobs. Nothing that can't be added later though.

Good luck with your installation..

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ejrossouw avatar image
ejrossouw answered ยท

@Cadoxa Further to JohnC, if your Li batteries have their own BMS, integrated or otherwise, a BMV is not typically required as the CGX will be configured to take the information from the battery bank, which will be the most accurate.

1 comment
2 |3000

cadoxa avatar image cadoxa commented ยท

Thatยดs what I thought, mentioned that on my last message to John.. ;)

Thankx

0 Likes 0 ยท
cadoxa avatar image
cadoxa answered ยท

Thanks John, Appreciated. I dont know about the BMV unit, I think it wouldnt be able to talk with my BMS. I will be using a 123 Smart BMS

https://123electric.de/gb/?gclid=Cj0KCQiAuefvBRDXARIsAFEOQ9HSecvGba-s073u0TH4oUfb6SWkQc6gcj5Av1rSBKrX4sHr86eWsLoaAqkJEALw_wcB

Thanks for your answer.

Best

3 comments
2 |3000

ejrossouw avatar image ejrossouw commented ยท

It seems it can however control the system very much like my battery BMS does but just not share data with a cgx. Not for the faint hearted though. ;)

"Controlling external components

On the OUT Module you will find two bi stable signal relays to control external components of your off-grid system. This can be โ€œsolar chargersโ€, โ€œMaximum power point trackersโ€, โ€œinvertersโ€, etc. An example is the โ€œenableโ€ pin on many Victron inverters. The maximum current through the signal relays is specified in section โ€œSpecificationsโ€"

0 Likes 0 ยท
JohnC avatar image JohnC โ™ฆ commented ยท

Yeh, I wasn't suggesting the BMV as something that you'd want to interfere with the workings of the BMS.

More as a 'second opinion' than anything, but it can initiate some of the broader functions within the GX, like DVCC. Many people don't 'need' it, but somehow come to rely on it. I know that doesn't make sense, ha..

Hopefully the BMS is networkable with the GX, rather than directly to the individual pieces of kit.

0 Likes 0 ยท
ejrossouw avatar image ejrossouw JohnC โ™ฆ commented ยท

Agree. It should not interfere as you will specify the source such e.g. battery bms. I personally ended up with two disconnected BMV units as my BlueNova can be monitored online and every cell health is shown, which is why smart Lithium is great.

0 Likes 0 ยท

Related Resources