question

willowfarm avatar image
willowfarm asked

Do I need the Victron Energy Interface MK3-USB? Is anything else required?

Ok...finally got hold of a windows laptop. (Apple not working - no workarounds etc...)

Q1 - Do we 100% need the Victron MK3-USB in which to connect and use VEcConfigure?

Q2 -can you use VEConfigure via wifi??

Q3 - are there any other cables I need?

Thanks

MK3
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @willowfarm

All your questions and more about configuring your Multi are answered in these two manuals:

https://docs.victronenergy.com/veconfigure.html

https://docs.victronenergy.com/victronconnect-vebus.html

Please read over them, and if anything is not clear, please follow up and I will try to clarify.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

willowfarm avatar image willowfarm commented ·

Ok thank you....can you confirm that VEConfigure setting can be changed via wifi remotely?
Not ONLY bu MK3 cable?

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ willowfarm commented ·

The details and limitations of programming without using an MK3 are explained in this section of the manual;

https://docs.victronenergy.com/veconfigure.html#remote-veconfigure

If these seems a little complicated, you are right, it is. It is being simplified with the introduction of VictronConnect support, but until now this was considered only suitable for technicians with Victron training.

Your dealer from whom you purchased the Multi will also be able to provide you with additional support.

0 Likes 0 ·
willowfarm avatar image willowfarm Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·

thank you...the victron is brand new - I think we should be able to connect remotely as we have GX and new updates.
My victron supplier is not communicating and referred me to victron (!) He said he cannot help me any further

0 Likes 0 ·
Todd Landfried avatar image
Todd Landfried answered ·

I’m a new owner and i had the same questions. I use a Mac and it works fine. How old is yours?

Q1 Yes, you want It. My installer told me the dongle is the least expensive way to configure and manage the Multi. You can use dip switches, but that’s not as complete a method and you cant upgrade firmware.

Q2 With a GX device, but those aren’t cheap.

Q3 USB and Ethernet cables will be required. It comes with the USB cable.

1 comment
2 |3000

willowfarm avatar image willowfarm commented ·

Hi the Mac is able to use Victron Connect app...however we are looking to connect with VEConfigure, which Mac does not support.
Did you use VEConfigure with Mac?

I was told we could configure remotely using wifi without cable?

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Presumably this a follow-on from your previous question: https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/36063/where-is-ups-and-weak-ac-setting-on-remote-console.html

Sorry I wasn't clearer, and I know nought of Apple kit.

You say you have VRM access, and hopefully your gear is connected and logging reliably. Ie. It must be working already with VRM..

From either locally, or from the other side of the world, log into VRM with your pc (full access needed).

From the main screen, go 'Device List' and click on 'Remote VEConfigure'. Be patient, if you suffer long pings to the German server, allow for a little lag. You now have VEConfig in play, and can use it just as you would an MK3 device. For changing settings, not firmware updates.

No other cables needed, and 'wifi' of the ethernet variety is fine.

2 |3000

elvistherv avatar image
elvistherv answered ·

Simple answer is as far as I can tell you only *need* the Mk3 to upgrade the firmware, that's all it's needed for *if* you have a GX device that is connected to the internet you can use the VE Configure app to remotely update the settings, even on a mac if you use a Virtual Box (or other VM software) VM running windows.

(Although you can obviously make instant changes with the Mk3)

If you don't have a GX device then it looks like you can still use the Mk3 on a mac if you run a VM (on virtual box you can pass thru USB devices from the Host, the mac, to the guest, the windows VM), can't remember if I tried this or not but the Mk3 port does show up in the VE configure app so I'm 90% sure it will work.

1 comment
2 |3000

elvistherv avatar image elvistherv commented ·

Just confirmed yes using a Virtual Box VM running windows on a mac you can connect via the Mk3:

0 Likes 0 ·
piet-hein-van-asselen avatar image
piet-hein-van-asselen answered ·

Is it True i cant connect my multiplus 12/3000 by mk3 connected to a chromebook? My multiplus wont show up!

Thanks in advance.

Regards, Piet

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic