question

seanoconnell avatar image
seanoconnell asked

Upgrading firmware on multiple chargers over ethernet

Hello,

I am expanding my system, and looking at getting another Bluesolar 150/70 to add to my Easysolar with its same charger, and I wanted to make sure it is possible to update BOTH chargers' firmwares over ethernet using my Colourcontrol? They would have different existing firmwares....

Looking at paralleling them to cope with 18 new 315W panels, as I have just moved to the cold high plateau in the centre of Tassie - I need light!!! Parallel charger operation seems easy as long as I can get the firmwares updated (I think...?)

Cheers, Sean.

ps - current firmware on my Easysolar - Multiplus 418, Bluesolar Charger 1.27, and would be buying a new unknown Bluesolar Charger....

firmware update
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

The MPPTs can be updated via the Color Control but to update the firmware of the Multi you will need a MK3 interface.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

seanoconnell avatar image
seanoconnell answered ·

cheers @M.Lange - I am assuming I can update the MPPT's without needing to update the Multi? I only need the paralleling functionality of the MPPTs....

2 |3000

JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi Sean.

The 'paralleling' functionality will exist regardless of firmware. But new firmware will ensure there's common aim within the algorithms. The easiest way is to update them via VRM portal. Just a coupla mouse clicks - done.

'Synchronization' is a little different, and I haven't yet seen what that entails, but is listed as available on the newest 1.47 fw. But it's only available for bluetooth linked mppts as yet. I wouldn't worry about it.

What you may need is a way to confirm/change the settings within each mppt. Either a BT dongle or a VE.Direct to usb adaptor to do that. And with only one VE.Direct port on each mppt, disconnection from your CCGX is required while making those changes. Not usually something that needs doing very often, if at all. Maybe that'll get tidied up one day..

And oh, no need to match your existing mppt to the new one. You can select whatever size you need to add in extra solar charge capacity.

2 |3000