question

chris-schnell avatar image
chris-schnell asked

DC Low input shut down on Quatro at 30% on LiFePo4 on off grid system.

How do I set the Quatro 8000 to shut down at 30% SOC on a completely off grid system. It is connected to 2 SmartSolars and 2 Freedom Won batteries of each 15/11 kWh. There are no assistants on the system. I tried to set the shut down with VEConnect on the Quatro but it goes down to below 10% SOC before shutting down.

Lithium Battery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

Lithium batteries are very in voltage down to a low SOC. Because of that you have to use the SOC to shut down the Quattro.
So you need a GX device (Color Control, Venus, Octo ...) connected to the batteries and the Quattro.

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/battery_compatibility:freedomwon

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

chris-schnell answered ·

BMS Settings need to be changed to set the SOC in a Lithium Battery system because the BMS of the battery overrides all other settings. Unfortunately my Lithium BMS do not have a setting for switching on the Battery again at a certain level of the SOC. I have to first manually switch off the loads and wait until there is sufficient charge in the battery.

2 |3000

ejrossouw avatar image
ejrossouw answered ·

@Chris Schnell May I propose you contact freedomwon if it involves their BMS. Battery manufacturers program and lock these to their specification to safeguard them so they can honour the often up to 10 year capacity warranties. Only system control you will likely get is with a GX as M.Lange advised and I think this to be a better option given the additional level of control it will give you. I use one for my off-grid system with a BlueNova.

PS - "Freedom Won supplies the BMS configured for each application"

2 |3000

chris-schnell answered ·

@Chris Schnell In off grid system there are no VE Configure settings that can change the DC input low shut down limit on a Litium battery, because the BMS of the Lithium Battery overrides all other battery settings of the system or Victron Inverter. Settings done via a CCGX device therefore also cannot create a DC input low shut down in a Lithium battery.

1 comment
2 |3000

Hi @Chris Schnell

This is not correct, the DC voltage shutdown values in the Multi are being used, so if you set those too high, the inverter will shut down before it needs to.

The battery can shut down the inverter, but does this by setting Discharge Current Limit (DCL) to 0A

Also you can use the 'shut down on SOC' settings in Ve-configure or Victron Connect, this works because the battery BMS sends it's SOC over CANbus to the GX device, and the GX device in turn sets this value in the inverter. 'battery monitor' has to be enabled in the Multi for this.

0 Likes 0 ·
chris-schnell answered ·

@Chris Schnell The DC low input shut down level was set to 20% with the assistance of Freedom Won and it works well. They suggested that I do not need to set it at 30% if the battery charge is not emptied with every cycle.

2 |3000

Related Resources