question

mggardner avatar image
mggardner asked

#48 Warning DVCC Firmware insufficient alarm

Victron 3000 with color control. While I was looking in VRM - this error showed up on my app. I can't find a reference to what it is. Things seem to be working normally. What is this. Where should I be able to find a reference?

tnx

errorDVCC
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

dboz0000025 avatar image dboz0000025 commented ·

I have the same error message appearing today on my system.

It looks as though a new firmware upgrade was released yesterday.

When remoting into the console I get this more specific message "DVCC with incompatible firmware #48"

0 Likes 0 ·
7 Answers
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi M.

You may have DVCC enabled in the CCGX. When you shouldn't, without upgrading the Multi's firmware. This alarm should also show as a triangle in the upper bar on GX.

Go Device List > Settings > DVCC, and turn it off. Then reboot the GX to remove the triangle.

The DVCC access seems to have changed a little recently, perhaps with a recent GX firmware upgrade. Maybe turned on unintentionally during that??

But I did manage to reproduce what you see on my own system. VRM even emailed to advise, as mine's set to do.

This process should remove it, did for me. But of course if you actually want DVCC running, then that's a deeper issue.

2 |3000

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi all,

To see what was changed, read our blogpost of yesterday (https://www.victronenergy.com/blog/2019/12/11/venus-os-v2-40-nmea2000-out-solar-irradiance-and-more/ ), and in the end it will take you to the change log.

In it you'll find the answer, and it means checking your inverter/charger firmware and or solar charger firmware versions. You should only enable DVCC in case they are recent enough.

Details here: https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ccgx:start#dvcc_requirements

3 comments
2 |3000

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

Ps. if you have a BYD battery, or MG Electronics, or Victron Lynx Ion BMS, then you'll also have to make sure the firmware meets those minimum requirements - since DVCC is (now) automatically enabled for those types of batteries.

And since updating firmware of inverter/chargers shouldn't be taken lightly (see all the warnings in the instructions), the option in the interim can very well be to roll back the firmware in your GX device to the last release (v2.33).

See Settings -> Firmware -> Stored backup firmware:

0 Likes 0 ·
1576143635595.png (45.6 KiB)
andrewb avatar image andrewb mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

I have a system with B-box and quattros in UPS mode. If I remotely disable the DVCC in CCGX, will the system work properly? I have no opportunity to update the firmware now manualy. CCGX firmware 2.40. Quattros id product 2656, firmware 413, VE.Bus version 2656413 hm.... )

Or just enable the 2.33 firmware of CCGX?

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ andrewb commented ·

@andrew.b

Update: when the system runs well with 2.33, it is fine to keep it running like that.

If you experience problems, please update the inverter to make sure your system is according to the minimum spec's in the manual:

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/battery_compatibility:byd_b-box#product_system_compatibility

0 Likes 0 ·
stevo07 avatar image
stevo07 answered ·

This is causing issues with legacy BYD systems using the allow to charge/discharge contacts rather than DVCC!

2 comments
2 |3000

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

Hi @Stevo07, yes, understood. we're looking into this. In the mean time, the best to do is sticking to Venus OS v2.33.

0 Likes 0 ·

Hi @Stevo07

What firmware are you running on your inverter?

0 Likes 0 ·
mike48t avatar image
mike48t answered ·

Hmmm this showed up on one of my systems with BYD Battery today, I have rolled back to V2,33 and the notification has cleared from the Color GX , but not from the Alarm log on the VRM portal, and still shows there as active, but nothing showing on ColorGX, Mvader

6 comments
2 |3000

Hi @Mike48t

What firmware are you running in the inverter?

see:

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ccgx:start#dvcc_requirements

0 Likes 0 ·
Bob avatar image Bob Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

I have this issue on 6 systems, in which the inverters are running firmware versions;

418*, 415, 415*, 413, 413, 408

The two marked with a * have shutdown and locked up, so we can't access them remotely. We are trying to work with a local installer to upgrade the firmware on site with a MK3 device, as this seems to be the only way to recover an inverter when it locks up like that.

I disabled CCGX firmware update and rolled back to version 2.33 on Friday, but didn't disable DVCC until Monday, when the advice was updated.

0 Likes 0 ·

Hi @Bob

If your systems worked ok with Venus OS v2.33, just downgrading the GX device to 2.33 again is also ok.

The systems that 'locked up', can you not reset the Multi('s) through the Remote Console? (devices - Multi - advanced - reset multi)

0 Likes 0 ·
Bob avatar image Bob Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

Unfortunately not. The CCGX is powered by the DC out, so it's offline. I guess the BMS has turned the battery off too.

I have mailed a MK3 to the local installer of one system, and we will talk him through the procedure.

The other one has an installer who now works with Victron direct so he is happy to update the firmware and recommission that site himself.

0 Likes 0 ·

Hi @Bob

If the site ran good on v2.33, you can just downgrade the Venus instead of updating the Multi's firmware.

0 Likes 0 ·
sigiwi avatar image
sigiwi answered ·

same issue here

didn't check firmware of my multi, will do so in the next days.

5 comments
2 |3000

Hi @sigiwi, you can easily see the firmware version in VRM (device list)

0 Likes 0 ·
sigiwi avatar image sigiwi Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

seems I need to update my multi to 4.22

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ sigiwi commented ·

Hi @sigiwi

Yes, or just downgrade the GX device to 2.33 if that worked ok before.

0 Likes 0 ·
sigiwi avatar image sigiwi Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

where do i get the multi 422.hex file, just per e-mail support or is there a download as well

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ sigiwi commented ·

Hi @sigiwi

You can try updating with Victron Connect first, but the firmware might be too old for that, if so you'll get a message to use ve.flash:

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/updating_firmware:updating_ve.bus_products

0 Likes 0 ·
cjr-electronics avatar image
cjr-electronics answered ·

We also experienced a problem with the firmware update from v2.33 to v2.40 (we have a BYD Battery) rolled back to v2.33 and stopped the auto update and all is working again.

I notice (28/12/2019) that there is a new firmware available now: v2.42

Do we switch to that (v2.42) version?

If we do and it does not work can we still rollback to v2.33 or will that no longer be stored?

(stored backup firmware window says: allows you to switch between current and previous firmware) This suggests v2.33 will no longer be available?

1 comment
2 |3000

Hi @CJR Electronics

Only upgrade the GX firmware if your inverters are also updated. it's already lucky that 2.33 works with older inverter firmware.

Read the DVCC requirements here:

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ccgx:start#dvcc_requirements

Also: if a system works well, don't upgrade things, only if there are problems or if you want to use new features.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

DVCC chapter in GX manual