question

jleroux avatar image
jleroux asked

DVCC with ESS stops PV from Smart Solar 250/100

Hi, I have a quattro with Smart Solar 250/100, 4x Pylontech batteries and a Venus all running ESS and DVCC. The issue that I am running into, is that for some reason, PV generation stops suddenly. The batteries will be full when this occur and I do allow feed- in to the grid. Important to note that PV doesn't stop the moment the batteries are full. It will feed back and after some time it will stop and all output power will then come directly from the grid.

The way that I fix it is to change ESS mode, and then change it back to original mode.

The follow graph shows the PV Yield

Any suggestions

MPPT ControllersESSDVCC
1543834569148.png (38.0 KiB)
3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

How big is the inverter charger in this system?

0 Likes 0 ·
jleroux avatar image jleroux Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·

Quattro 5000

0 Likes 0 ·
Izak (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Izak (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

Do you perhaps have a PV-inverter on the output? When you change the mode, to what do you change it?

Also, can you provide me with the VRM id of your site.

0 Likes 0 ·
7 Answers
andre avatar image
andre answered ·

Dear Jleroux, is not perhaps because the system gets too warm and needs to decrease the DC current to prevent overheating and shutting down completely?

@jleroux

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hey all; a short ess trouble shooting guide (I’m on my phone typing; this is all very sparse):

- start with checking firmware versions (needs to be latest). And when asking questions; report used firmware versions.

- check battery type/brand. If lead then answer/warn unsuitable and probably broken because of the heavy cycling.

- if some unknown unsupported canbus battery; then too bad; not supported; change battery. And believe me; there is a technical reason for not easily supporting all sorts of brands. Lots of work; as is troubleshooting such systems.

Then; if PV is not used enough to power loads;

- check for the # reason codes; see bottom of ccgx manual.

- check wiring: lots of voltage drop between mppt and multi will prevent the system from effectively powering ac loads from solar power

- test with and without SVS enabled.

- next, check mppt charge current limit during the time that it is not used enough. MPPT CCL is supposed to be high always; even when battery full. Unless there is a temperature issue.

- now check mppt Charge Voltage setpoint. Its supposed to be above actual battery voltage.

Note that those last two setpoints are determined by softeware; and calculated based on the setpoints sent by the (canbus connected) lithium battery: you cant change change them manually. Looking at them however does help understanding why certains things are happening;

Thats all I can think of right now; that you need to reset it is strange; you really think its some software reset that makes it work again? Or is it because the battery is discharged slightly while doing that; causing a change in CCL and Max Charge Voltage as sent by the battery.

2 |3000

jleroux avatar image
jleroux answered ·

Hi all, thanks for all the responses. I would like to apologize for not responding to this thread. I have no idea how I missed your responses.

I have disabled DVCC in the mean time and my system is running very stable and nice. But I would like to enable it again, and will do so in order to respond to your questions.

Some of the questions I can answer at the moment:

• I do not have a PV inverter connected to the output
  • Firmware versions:
    • Quattro: 431
    • Venus: 2.23
    • MPPT: v1.37
  • Batteries: 4x 2.4Kw Pylontech

When you change the mode, to what do you change it? One the Venus I go to ESS and change the Battery Mode from Optimized (With Battery Life) to Optimized (Without Battery Life) and then immediately back again.

I do no think the system gets to warm, reason is I have no issue when DVCC is disabled.

Thanks! Will give an update again as soon as I have enabled DVCC and the issue occurs again.

4 comments
2 |3000

jleroux avatar image jleroux commented ·

I have enabled DVCC again. My current settings:

0 Likes 0 ·
1552733262062.png (32.9 KiB)
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ jleroux commented ·

Hi; try leaving SVS disabled

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

Hi: let me explain that better: SVS is by default disabled. Enabling it should inly be done in very specific situations. And your install is not one of them.

I’m not sure if this fixes your issue; but still recommend to disable it anyway.

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

Here from the Pylon & Victron manual:

0 Likes 0 ·
jleroux avatar image
jleroux answered ·

Hi all, another update on this, and getting really desperate

So DVCC is enabled

I check PV, and it is again not working

What I do to correct it is change the ESS Mode

That results in PV generating again:

Temperature:

PV Graph:

Anyone with a clever idea of what is wrong here?

1554106952476.png (77.6 KiB)
1554106967687.png (60.9 KiB)
1554106999374.png (65.2 KiB)
1554107007629.png (65.5 KiB)
1554107026766.png (75.5 KiB)
1554107040653.png (23.5 KiB)
1554107047861.png (20.4 KiB)
1554107058927.png (26.1 KiB)
3 comments
2 |3000

15 Minutes later and the issue is back:

0 Likes 0 ·
1554107901166.png (66.2 KiB)

What I did find @mvader (Victron Energy Staff) is the the MPPT Charge Voltage is not higher than battery voltage

0 Likes 0 ·
1554108485268.png (56.8 KiB)

This is my solar generation for the day. Even though the sun is shining

0 Likes 0 ·
1554124749102.png (146.3 KiB)
boekel avatar image
boekel answered ·

Hi @jleroux

I notice ESS modes:

#1 SOC low

#2 BatteryLife is active.

Can you show what your bms is sending to the Venus? (parameters), this might be a clue.

Also: Why are you using BatteryLife?? that's for Lead Acid batteries.

4 comments
2 |3000

Hi @Boekel,

No specific reason for BatteryLife, so I have disabled it.

Only ESS #1 now

0 Likes 0 ·
1554131312445.png (31.8 KiB)
boekel avatar image boekel ♦ jleroux commented ·

Ok, and what is the warning showing in the remote console?

What is the reason you're using 95% as minimum SOC? is it purely a backup system?

Try lowering that value, as it is probably what's making the low SOC (ESS #1), I think that might be the reason the system stops producin AC (makes sense, 'low battery')

0 Likes 0 ·
jleroux avatar image jleroux boekel ♦ commented ·

@Boekel, the alarm was for a High Voltage alarm before enabling DVCC.

95% is because of backup (is currently night time here), in the early hours of the morning it will change to 70%. While the SOC is less than 97%, it seems that I don't have the issue since my Battery Voltage is less than 52v. As soon as the battery voltage reach 52V, that is when my PV stops.

0 Likes 0 ·
boekel avatar image boekel ♦ jleroux commented ·

Ok, so where does the ESS #1 come from then...

Can you show the battery monitor settings in remote console?

0 Likes 0 ·
jleroux avatar image
jleroux answered ·

Hi all, some feedback.

I think I got to the bottom of this. It looks like the problem occurs when you set the SOC to 95%. After changing my SOC to 90% I don't have the issue anymore, and the system performs as expected

@Boekel thanks for your question about why I'm getting ESS #1. That made me think!

2 |3000

matthias-roetzer avatar image
matthias-roetzer answered ·

Hi @jleroux

Is your PV shutdown issue still solved by changing the minimum SOC from 95 down to 90?

I'm asking because I've a very similar issue but at lower SOC limits. Very spontaneous issue like yours.

As I was not aware of your thread I've opened another one "feed in excess power not working in absorption phase".

Your answer is highly much appreciated!

Best regards,

Matthias

2 |3000

Related Resources