question

wesaussie50 avatar image
wesaussie50 asked

BMV 712 always says infinity.

Hi everyone. Ive had the BMV 712 installed on my van but it always says infinity. Even when the battery’s went flat once. I’ve checked the wiring and I assume it’s correct. Apart from all the dust can anyone point me in any direction on where i should start Please. It’s driving me nuts.

BMV Battery Monitor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

6 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

It is possible that some of that dirt has got into the connector and one or more of the contacts of the 6pin RJ12 connector are not making contact.
Specifically, if there is a loss of connection to the sense wire that reads the shunt, the BMV will not register any current flow through the shunt anymore and it will show infinity.

Try and clean up the connectors and see if that sorts out the problem.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

petajoule avatar image
petajoule answered ·

I don't think the Shunt is supposed to be operated in an environment like that.

Maybe try something like this

It's probably protective casing because of the high voltage, but should help with the dust too.

Is that a Mars rover? ;-)

1576086672910.png (1.4 MiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

gro avatar image gro commented ·

I suggest you clean your setup and then try again.

0 Likes 0 ·
fairline avatar image
fairline answered ·

What is meaning/purpose of infinity ?

3 comments
2 |3000

Justin Cook avatar image Justin Cook ♦♦ commented ·

@fairline, "infinite" will be displayed when charging the batteries, since -so long as a charge source is present and your loads are less than the charge source- your battery capacity is effectively infinite.

0 Likes 0 ·
fairline avatar image fairline Justin Cook ♦♦ commented ·

So when charging is of and i consume amps "infinite" will go away?

0 Likes 0 ·
Justin Cook avatar image Justin Cook ♦♦ fairline commented ·

Correct, as soon as charge is removed -or if loads exceed charge- "infinite" should go away and be replaced with a realistic estimation of time remaining based upon current draw.

0 Likes 0 ·
yannick avatar image
yannick answered ·

Does it show the correct amps in and out the battery? If it does, the problem is not in the shunt.

2 |3000

wesaussie50 avatar image
wesaussie50 answered ·

Hi guys, yeah the battery box isn’t sealed on this van, I’ve only had it a few months. The monitor was showing 100% and infinity time remaining right from when it was installed and before I’d taken it away. I left all the lights on for about 5 hours once to try and get a different reading and it still showed infinity and 100%,

I’ll have to seal up the battery box as I do a lot of dirt roads but even then I don’t think it’s going to fix my problem.

2 |3000

Chandler Hoisington avatar image
Chandler Hoisington answered ·

Did this ever get resolved? I have the same issue after setting up my batter.

2 comments
2 |3000

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

In most cases it's a wrong wiring of the shunt.

Wired in reverse, not all loads/charger connected to the load/charger side of the shunt.

0 Likes 0 ·
Chandler Hoisington avatar image Chandler Hoisington Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

Yea I think mine is wired correctly. I opened a new question with pictures:

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/90980/bmv-712-time-remaining-infinite-current-power-both.html

0 Likes 0 ·