question

solguy avatar image
solguy asked

How can I extend the distance between the Cerbo GX and GX touch 50 screen?

Hello I want to use the Cerbo GX with GX touch 50 in a place without internet connexion, there is 50 meters between the screen and the Cerbo GX, is it possible to work with bluetooth or with cable connection. ? Thanks for your answer.

cerbo gxgx device
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

12 Answers
Murray van Graan avatar image
Murray van Graan answered ·

The Cerbo has a HDMI interface, I’m not sure how practical (and workable) a cabled solution would be. Why not try remote console? You could achieve this on a local network, and view the remote console on a mobile device

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mtnscott avatar image mtnscott commented ·

The Touch 50 is a nice elegant solution for installation into an RV. It would be nice to have a solution that would allow the Touch 50 to be installed in a clearly visible location and have the Cerbo installed next to the power equipment typically in a remote location. If Victron could put some energy into testing possible solutions I'm sure the community would appreciate it. Especially since there is now a delay on delivery of the Cerbo to the community that could be sharing knowledge.

0 Likes 0 ·
nebulight avatar image
nebulight answered ·

That's a really long run for HDMI. I've seen ethernet to HDMI repeaters, but I've never gone that far. USB repeaters should also pose a problem. as I've never gone more than 20 ft, but I guess you could stack repeaters. I've never tested it so I'm not sure. As Murray stated, if you have a local network, you can just pull up the remote console. If you mean no internet as no local network, then you might want to try those USB HDMI repeaters, but 50 meters is a long distance.

https://www.kvm-switches-online.com/usb2-aa-50m.html

https://www.amazon.com/Portta-Extender-Repeater-Ethernet-Supports/dp/B018JM0XMA

2 |3000

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

At the moment Bluetooth is only for making the WiFi/Ethernet settings.
More BT features will come later.

2 |3000

Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @solguy,

I think the best way would be something via the ethernet port of the CerboGX, to another network connected accessory screen, such as a cheap little laptop. Then using the Remote Console over LAN feature. It can be done direct point to point, without a router or other networking equipment. As long as the other device has Link Local Addressing compatibility.

Then it a matter of how do you get the local network/ethernet connection 50M.

There are MANY options for this of course, you could run a gel filled weather proof CAT6 cable in a shallow trench.

You could string it along an overhead catenary.

You could get some directional wifi antenna, or higher power wifi equipment intended for outdoor use (ie Unifi).

Another possible option to consider is Ethernet over Powerline adapters. This may be the easiest and cheapest option, IF you are also already running the powerlines back to the 2nd structure from the power system.

Ideally you can borrow some to see if it works first.

I have had reasonable success with TP-Link AV2000. Though it is possible for them to not connect if there are too many switches or junction connections, so try to keep the power wire as uninterrupted as possible between the two units.

I have not experimented with extending HDMI and USB long distances, though I think I will get more of a chance once the CerboGX is released.

2 |3000

solguy avatar image
solguy answered ·

Thanks for answers, I think that a RJ45 CAT6 is the simplest option . Is this ethernet RJ45 cable connection give the power for the screen or it need aditional power supply ?

2 |3000

wolfbarnsolar avatar image
wolfbarnsolar answered ·

I currently use USB extender cables 3x20 meter Off an AC POWERED usb HUB to connect a second solar controller in an out building 50+ meters away from my CCGX

The USB hub is at the controller end

Have been using it UNINTREUPTED for 8 Months Without any Issues

Quality of cables is the Key

2 |3000

spirou avatar image
spirou answered ·

Forget HDMI over that distance. Anything over 15m is a gamble even with decent cables.

2 |3000

Martin Coetzee avatar image
Martin Coetzee answered ·

if i want to extend it say 15 m max can one just extend the hdmi and usb with extension cables ? I am planning for a new installation.

1 comment
2 |3000

It has not been reliably tested yet, as far as I know. So currently unsupported, but not prevented.

The HDMI cable is hard wired to the screen side. So you would need a joiner, or better yet a dedicated extension cable, which seem rare.

I don’t know much about HDMI, but the USB power supply voltage would not survive that range. So at least that should have an external USB power supply closer to the screen.

0 Likes 0 ·
lshantz avatar image
lshantz answered ·

Short answer, is yes you can! The cable length is totally unacceptably short. I purchased a quality 25' HDMI and USB extension cable. Works like a charm. It isn't like you running 4K quality video.

5 comments
2 |3000

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

@lshantz

The cable is currently about 2m long, how long should have Victron make the cable?
3m? 4m? 5m? 10m?
At some point it is to long for the most users and it make the screen even more expensive.
(as I know it is a special cable with HDMI and the USB for power)

So it is easier to place the cerbo and the screen so that the cable is long enough or extent it if necessary.

0 Likes 0 ·
lshantz avatar image lshantz Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

Respectfully strongly disagree. I'm not going to put the Cerbo screen in the basement of my coach because someone was too lazy in development to determine how long it could be before it is too long. I can think of very few installations where 4 or 5 feet is enough. It would make MUCH more sense to keep the cord short like it is, and then ad an optional "Victron" extension cable so users can mount it in a place that makes sense. Instead of telling us it can't be done. I"m here to tell you it CAN be done with ease.

1 Like 1 ·
thtruck avatar image thtruck lshantz commented ·

With your method you can use the standard screen of the Cerbo in the same way as it does with the standard cable?You only extend the hdmi and the usbpower? Do you perhaps have a link to the cables you bought? Thanks in advance.

0 Likes 0 ·
ejrossouw avatar image ejrossouw lshantz commented ·

@ishantz Personally I think you will find that for the majority of use cases the cable is more than adequate and space is often at a premium so, it is a tough call. While I have a customer who has extended to 10m, he recognised he did it at his only peril. Also, as with regards to reliability and warranties, the product as sold was almost certainly designed and comprehensively tested with this in mind, especially given Victron is trusted for many marine and remote installations. There are just too many "cheap" cables out there that may simply not operate reliably within the required electrical tollerances and if I were Victron, I'd then respectfully not honour your warranty if things do go wrong. USB is very low power and imagine the losses over great distances. Also what potential consequences could it have on the USB driver in the Cerbo? Also, adding additional connectors allows for further reliability or connection problems and just makes for problem solving headaches. Just my thoughts, but then I do like to keep things simple especially given everything is also available on my phone or tablet.

0 Likes 0 ·
babyrocket avatar image babyrocket commented ·

Can you provide a link to the cable you bought?

0 Likes 0 ·
Warwick Bruce Chapman avatar image
Warwick Bruce Chapman answered ·

We've bought HDMI extenders that extend over Ethernet. Will be testing this week and will feed back.

1 comment
2 |3000

savary-island-guy avatar image savary-island-guy commented ·
How did the extenders work out? . I’m about 80 ft from cerbo to touch50. Using cat5e( 100ft) and amplifiers from Amazon claiming good to 250ft but no luck. I have usb plug installed by unit, so there is power but no success on video.
0 Likes 0 ·
savary-island-guy avatar image
savary-island-guy answered ·

Update to my gx touch issue. I’m approx 80’ from cerbo to gx touch. I tried Cat cable and then added CAT amplifier( with hdmi adapters at either end) with no success. Seeing some people had success with 30ft hdmi, I went on to Amazon and ordered 100’ HD hdmi cord with built in amplifier in the cable. (75’ was too short) and Boom!! Plugged it in and works perfect! I had usb power at the screen installed with a usb receptacle installed already so that wasn’t an issue

I’m sure CAT cable may work with right amplifier, but why waste money on expensive options & trouble shooting. Go HDMI direct ( just need usb for power from a closer plug) Sooooooo happy!!!

2 |3000

daza avatar image
daza answered ·

@Savary island guy Why not put a link to the cable so others can see what you used and what worked for you

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic