question

Alex Rodgers avatar image
Alex Rodgers asked

ESS and Generator setup

Evening, am based in Zimbabwe, have set up 2 Victron Quatrro 8Kva systems, each with 12 x Jinko 385watt Mono panels, through Victron MPPT 150/100 smartsolar can, 3 each pylontech batteries -

1st - AC1 in is either generator or grid, no AC2 in connected

2nd - AC1 in is generator, AC2 in is grid

i used the "other - not compliant to any grid code standard" in the grid code selection

then used the ESS assistant

on the venus GX - as attached

this works fine when i have grid power - there is no feed in to the grid - when i set the grid set point above 300watts.

however when i run the generator during the day when there is plenty of sun on the panels, but generator power is required to run other loads not connected to the inverter, which feeds either into AC 1 in or AC 2, as there is ESS enabled, this seems to cause the inverter to hum loudly and switch between mains and inverting very rapidly

is there a way in which i can shut down the ess when i run the generator - or is there another way in which i can set up the system to run but make maximum use of the panel array wheter i run generator or grid?

thanks

cheers

alex

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerESSGeneratorVenus GX - VGX
vic-ess-1.jpg (74.4 KiB)
vic-ess-2.jpg (71.8 KiB)
ess-b.jpg (119.8 KiB)
ess-a.jpg (86.0 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Murray van Graan avatar image
Murray van Graan answered ·

For a generator you would need to set the grid code LOM type to disabled on the corresponding input, and also enable dynamic current limiter and set that current limit to a safe value on the generator.

Just a note, it’s always better to have the generator and grid supply separated, each on their own input

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alex Rodgers avatar image Alex Rodgers commented ·

Thanks Murray. Will try that.

Any idea what i can do with the multiplus units and ezysolar 5kva units, which don't have a AC2 in - would i set the AC1 in to generator and disable LOM?

there is also the optional assistant - "self-consumption hub-1"

or better still to add a fronius type meter to the generator line?

0 Likes 0 ·