question

lambish avatar image
lambish asked

Esaysolar need external fuse online cable

Hi, i've opened my easysolar to connect the differents wire and i see a 200Amp fuse. On the documentation (Multiplus 48/5000) i see i need a 200 amp on the cable between EasySolar and batt. Is it usefull ? Or just a redundancy ?

EasySolar All-in-Onefuses
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
kai avatar image
kai answered ·

I would look at two things:

1) Relevant electrical rules (e.g. boats) may dictate you need a fuse or equivalent pretty much at the battery. This may force an external fuse.

2) Exposure to cable related risks. If you have a long cable run from the battery to the easy solar, and there is a short in the cable, the fuse on the easy solar is not going to help. On the other hand, if your battery is right next to the easy solar, and you have cable protection, etc, then you might conclude that you're ok with the risk.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Murray van Graan avatar image
Murray van Graan answered ·

Hi @Lambish. Since it’s already built in, you wouldn’t need a second fuse unless you want a double pole disconnect, that will have a fuse on both positive and negative

1 comment
2 |3000

wkirby avatar image wkirby ♦♦ commented ·

The fuse that is built in is to prevent fire if something does wrong within the unit. This fuse will not protect the external cabling between the battery and the Easysolar.
It is always advisable to install a fuse as close to the battery as possible.

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

I've seen that fuse inside my own Easy. Always assumed it has some internal functionality, like maybe for the mppt. But don't know for certain..

But it doesn't appear to be 'inline' with the main batt cables. I wouldn't rely on it to isolate the batts from the Multi. And didn't..

2 |3000

Related Resources

EasySolar 1600 product page

EasySolar-II GX 3000 & 5000 product page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic