question

fabio avatar image
fabio asked

GENERATOR PARALLEL WITH QUATTRO

Good morning,

I'm working on a system where the Lihtium battery bank, through a Quattro inverter, will replace a night generator. The system has a parallel module to swap the load between the main generators and night generator without black-out. During the swap, the sources have a parallel moment of around 500mSec. Is the Quattro inverter design to support this parallel moment to have a swap between generators and lithium system without black-out?

Thanks for your help

Best regards

Fabio

battery charging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

If the generator at AC IN 1 stops the Quattro will switch to the battery and starts synchronizing with the generator at AC IN 2 after that the Quattro will switch to the generator at AC IN 2.
The synchronizing can take up to 2 minutes, in this time the loads are supplied from the battery.
The switching is done in less than 20 milliseconds.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

fabio avatar image fabio commented ·

Hello Mr. @M.Lange, thanks for the answer but it is not what I was looking for, maybe I wasn't clear enough (my English is not so good). In the system there is a Deif parallel module to change the boat supply from "night generator" to normal generator without blackout. The deif module act in this way: generator 1 on line, generator 2 ready; put online generator 2 together with generator 1 and after 500Msecs put generator 1 offline. This happen because the deif module can control speed and voltage of the generators, synchronizing them during the transfer. I'm going to replace the generator 2 with a Quattro; what happen to the Quattro when the Deif module synchronize the Quattro output with the generator 1 output and put them in parallel for 500 mSecs, to execute the boat supply change? I know that adding words doesn't make the fact more clear! Let me summarize the question; can a Quattro output be put in parallel with a generator output, perfectly synchronized, for a time of 500 mSecs?

Hope I've been clear.

Best regards

Fabio

0 Likes 0 ·
fabio avatar image
fabio answered ·

Hello Mr. @M.Lange, thanks for the answer but it is not what I was looking for, maybe I wasn't clear enough (my English is not so good). In the system there is a Deif parallel module to change the boat supply from "night generator" to normal generator without blackout. The deif module act in this way: generator 1 on line, generator 2 ready; put online generator 2 together with generator 1 and after 500Msecs put generator 1 offline. This happen because the deif module can control speed and voltage of the generators, synchronizing them during the transfer. I'm going to replace the generator 2 with a Quattro; what happen to the Quattro when the Deif module synchronize the Quattro output with the generator 1 output and put them in parallel for 500 mSecs, to execute the boat supply change? I know that adding words doesn't make the fact more clear! Let me summarize the question; can a Quattro output be put in parallel with a generator output, perfectly synchronized, for a time of 500 mSecs?

Hope I've been clear.

Best regards

Fabio

2 |3000

JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hello Fabio.

To make it even clearer, is your end target to switch from one generator to Quattro (battery) power, seamlessly?

If so, the Quattro already has that functionality when the generator output is wired through the Quattro. The generator has priority, but when stopped it switches 'immediately' to inverted power from the batteries. And does it well.

When the generator is needed, just start it. The switching back to it may be 'softer', depending on settings, but will still be seamless.

Your Deif may not even be necessary, but if used also for 'power conditioning' from the generator might still be useful.

Your English comes over fine. Just the end target you are looking for needs more definition.

4 comments
2 |3000

fabio avatar image fabio commented ·

Hello John,

My end Target is to seamlessly switch between generator and Quattro, but I cannot go through the Quattro itself because of the power of the generator. Also I have two generator, so I would have to do the same for both. The two generator feed the boat and also the Quattro do the same, I would like to seamlessly switch between them to avoid black out.

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ fabio commented ·

The Quattro can passthrough 'quite a lot' of power, but not merge two external sources together. It can however blend in battery power to augment the passthrough power if needed.

We still need more information. How much power are you talking, generator size, and loads?.

0 Likes 0 ·
fabio avatar image fabio JohnC ♦ commented ·

Hi John, sorry but we are running out from the original focus....I know the functions of the Quattro, but I don't have any idea what happen when I parallel one gerator with the Quattro output. Let's make an example: generator online (45KVA); 3 Quattro inverter connected star 3ph (30 KVA) with lithium battery 100% charge; I want to turn off the generator and use the battery for a quite launch on board. Can I switch the source seamlessly from the generator to the Quattro, using a seamless transfer controller like Deif? Can the Quattro impedence be setted higher then the generator one to avoid current flowing back to the Quattro?

Many thanks

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ fabio commented ·

Okaay. I was afraid you'd mention 45kVA and 3 phase Q's.

I can't see why not, but I don't know for certain, so will defer to others. At least we've got to the ground rules.. :)

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic