question

pmdent avatar image
pmdent asked

Argo FET 4.4V voltage on input terminal with no alternator running

I have acquired a yacht wired with three 12V batteries on outputs. With the engine shutdown and no alternator running I have 4.4 Volts on the Input terminal and alternator circuit - I am not wiring the "energise" terminal. Is this usual or indicative of defective isolation as I am experiencing battery capacity leakage on one battery bank when not using the system for several weeks.

voltageArgo FET Diode
3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

vga avatar image vga commented ·

@pmdent: Did you find a solution/answer to your question?

I am having same issue with a Argo FET 200-3. I am measuring 1.9V over the other outputs and the input when only one output has a battery connected. Connecting or disconnection the alternator on the input make no difference.

-vga

0 Likes 0 ·
pmdent avatar image pmdent vga commented ·

Hi vga. I have exhaustively troubleshot my system and rewired most of it So I know what it’s doing. A couple of my splitter outputs went direct to battery banks with no isolation switch. I have rewired so that the splitter outputs go through battery/bank isolation switches. This eliminates what I can only call a leakage voltage across the fiction splitter when batt. Are left connected with no alternator output. I am not sure if this implies a victor on unit fault or failure but it works....I.e. charges split batt systems when alternator active and total isolation go all battery systems when not in use eliminates this back voltage.

0 Likes 0 ·
vga avatar image vga pmdent commented ·

Ok, so if I understand you correct, you never did solve the actual leakage, but put in isolation switches to mitigate?

-vga

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @pmdent,

Please see these similar Questions & Answers, 1 & 2.

It is most likely an isolation failure somewhere in the existing wiring system, which will require some forensic troubleshooting to find and fix.

Unfortunately common in newly acquired boats.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

pmdent avatar image pmdent commented ·

Guy, could you confirm there for normal operation of the splitter with no alternator running whether there would be a measured voltage on the input terminal or should this be zero ?

I am thinking that the splitter is providing " a current limited" voltage to the input terminal as an automatic activation voltage when the alternator starts. Is this is in the design of the ArgoFet spliiter?

Thanks - Peter

0 Likes 0 ·
pmdent avatar image pmdent commented ·

Guy - should there be a small voltage at the input terminal with the motor not running as part of the ArgoFet design for automatic energising of alternator ? If so, what is its typical value for a correctly functioning unit. I appreciate that this voltage is "current limited" - again by design.....

0 Likes 0 ·
trinamite avatar image
trinamite answered ·

I have a similar situation. 2.4 volts on the input with no alternator running, but alternator connected.

Guy - I don't understand your answer. What do you mean by "isolation fault somewherein the system".

2 |3000

Related Resources