question

kobus avatar image
kobus asked

Why is there voltage on input on a Argo Fet when alternator isn't connected?

Voltage on input point with no alternator connected

MPPT ControllersArgo FET Diode
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kobus avatar image kobus commented ·

When three battery banks are connected and also the common negative to the ground terminal the blue light slightly burning and measure 8 volts on the input terminal ,when you disconnect the alternator it still measures 8 volt ,if you put 24 volt to the energize point the blue light light up bright and measure 24 volt on the input terminal that is normal but why measure 8 volt when not energized ?

0 Likes 0 ·
3 Answers
flyboy62000 avatar image
flyboy62000 answered ·

Problem isolated to bad ground connection to the isolator. Once solid ground was established the reverse flow to the input terminal was stopped.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alan Piggot avatar image Alan Piggot commented ·

@flyboy62000 Hi. Can I ask you some more specifics about your situation. I may have a similar situation but I have good continuity through my ground so I don't think that's the issue. I am getting 4.8 volts at the input terminal going to my alternator?

Today, I disconnect everything from the isolator except the ground. There were no loads on and no charging occurring. Then, I connected my house bank at output 1. The voltage at the output 2, 3 AND the input terminal was 2.2 volts. Then I connected my engine battery to ouput 2 and the volts at output 3 and input were 4.4 volts. When I connected everything back, with the engine running, I was getting 14.4 volts at all terminals and 17 amps produced by the alternator at idle.

Is this normal?

0 Likes 0 ·
Peter Polz avatar image
Peter Polz answered ·

I am sorry but i can not recognise a Question. May you can tell us more details about it?

1 comment
2 |3000

kobus avatar image kobus commented ·

I add a better discription on the fault ,also test on new units and also give me a voltage on the input terminal with no altenater connected and also no voltage on energize terminal.

0 Likes 0 ·
flyboy62000 avatar image
flyboy62000 answered ·

I have the same question. With battery power at 14v applied to the output 1 terminal there is 10v at the input terminal with nothing else connected. Does this indicate a faulty ArgoFET isolator? Should it not be isolating the battery inputs from each other and the input? Thanks.

2 |3000