question

colombo avatar image
colombo asked

Argodiode bleeding between outputs when energized

When argodiode(2 output 80amp) is energized through ignition and when directly from the starter output. The starter battery is bleeding 8 volts through to the domestic system, when the domestic battery is switched off from the isolator. This is sufficient to power low voltage systems like lighting etc.

I can see a low transfer between both ammeters.

Is this normal behaviour?

Naturally my concern is that I might drain my starter.

Argo FET Diode
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @Colombo

No this should not happen, but you mention it happens when 'energized through the ignition'

I'm suspecting that when energizing, there is a path outside the Argofet where current can flow, and therefore advice to check the wiring of your system.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

colombo avatar image
colombo answered ·

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I'm able to isolate all consumableds from both feeds. Leaving just both crank and domestic batteries leading to the diode. And there is certainly no continuity between both feeds.

Yet when energizing the diode, vier a short wire, from either crank or domestic output post directly, im still getting a bleed through from the live output.

E.g. energizing vier short wire from the crank Battery (output 2) , isolating the domestic supply ( output 1). When I do this, I still read a voltage through output 1 and have drawn up to 7amps directly from it (all fixed consumables isolated) . This also happens in reverse, though reading a larger voltage from output 2.

This stops when the diode is de-energized.

Could this be a diode fault? It is probably around 10 years old.

Kind regards,

3 comments
2 |3000

Hi @Colombo

Did you also try to disconnect the alternator 'comp' wire? because I suspect that is where the current flows. your energizing the alternator, that current has to come from somewhere.

0 Likes 0 ·
colombo avatar image colombo Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

No, I'm not using the comp. The only power source is the one battery ( on either output 1 or 2). Yet only when energized (directly from that live output) it is bleeding through to the dead output. It has effectively become a relay when energized.

Though there is no visible transfer between batteries when both output are live and energized. My concern is that if someone accidentally switched of the domestic batteries while high powered items were in use it may fry the energizing ingnition feed, if it is bareing all that rogue current.

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ colombo commented ·

Hi @Colombo

Can you please make a simple diagram how you've connected things?

in the first post you write:

"When argodiode(2 output 80amp) is energized through ignition and when directly from the starter output. The starter battery is bleeding 8 volts through to the domestic system "

So that made me think there was something different happening.

0 Likes 0 ·